Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy Files From Another Computer?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 misconduct

misconduct

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:37 AM

after thinking about this i was wondering if this would work?

-i have one computer now currently running windows 98
-i have one computer im trying to load win 98 with the original cd that is damaged and not allowing me to copy the necessary files

it sounds simple but can i somehow copy the files from the computer thats working and load them to the one thats not?

and lastly how?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

Yes you can.

Ultimately there is more than one way, but the easiest way would be to use software like Easeus Disk Copy.

Now... In order to do this you are probably going to want to put the old HD from the original computer into the new one as a slave. If needed I can give you the step-by-step for this as well.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 misconduct

misconduct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:22 PM

thank you
it would be greatly appreciated if you could supply the step by step procedure.
although im learning quite a bit i dont want to take to much for granted

thanks again

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:28 PM

Your idea will work if you have the cab files on the hard drive of the computer that works.

You can then unhook the cdrom and temporarily connect the hard drive from the system you are working on to that. That way you dont have to change any jumpers on the drives. The 98 cab files consist of 101 files for a size of 121 meg

Copy the cabs to a win98 folder on the hard drive then reinstall it to the other system
Boot to a 98 startup cisk or cd. Change to the win98 folder on the c drive & run SETUP.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 misconduct

misconduct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:09 AM

thanks alot guys , alls well.
your support was greatly appreciated,until next time
cheers

#6 richie78

richie78

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

Your idea will work if you have the cab files on the hard drive of the computer that works.

You can then unhook the cdrom and temporarily connect the hard drive from the system you are working on to that. That way you dont have to change any jumpers on the drives. The 98 cab files consist of 101 files for a size of 121 meg

Copy the cabs to a win98 folder on the hard drive then reinstall it to the other system
Boot to a 98 startup cisk or cd. Change to the win98 folder on the c drive & run SETUP.

Boy, how I wish my file copy/transfer was as simple. I've got a new Acer laptop that doesn't have any external connectors except for USB Ports. And the desktop computer has only parrallel port connectors. How do I transfer files from the desktop to the laptop?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:07 AM

Neither computer has a RJ45 network connection? You would simply get a network transfer (null) cable. How old is this computer that only has parallel ports?
If you're referring to an acer aspire 9420 laptop, it has a LAN (network) connection. I'm almost positive you old computer should have the same connection

Edited by garmanma, 05 April 2008 - 09:21 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 richie78

richie78

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:04 PM

Neither computer has a RJ45 network connection? You would simply get a network transfer (null) cable. How old is this computer that only has parallel ports?
If you're referring to an acer aspire 9420 laptop, it has a LAN (network) connection. I'm almost positive you old computer should have the same connection

I'm not as computer literate as I perhaps should be, so would you please explain what is a "RJ45 network connection", and what does it look like? My older desktop computer with the parallel conections was built about 2000.

Also can you further define the same for the "...acer aspire 9420 laptop..." "LAN (network) connection..." ? It seems as though the Acer computer had a connection that looks like a wider USB, or modem connection. Would this be the LAN connection?

thanks

richie

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:04 PM

A RJ45 or LAN connection looks like an oversized modular phone plug
Posted Image
They're inexpensive
http://www.newegg.com/Product
Just remember, it has to be labeled a CROSS OVER cable or transfer cable

Edited by garmanma, 11 April 2008 - 04:05 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#10 richie78

richie78

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:51 PM

A RJ45 or LAN connection looks like an oversized modular phone plug
Posted Image
They're inexpensive
http://www.newegg.com/Product
Just remember, it has to be labeled a CROSS OVER cable or transfer cable

Bear with me, I'm getting there.

I think I have identified the connector on my Acer Laptop, but I can't find a similar connector on the older ME computer. However, I've got another computer that belonged to my son that has such a connection on a card. I assume that I can just remove that card and install it into my old ME computer, and then connect my Acer Lptop and the ME Computer using the cross over cable. Is that correct? Are there any special programs that I would need to load, or will the ME computer recognize this newly installed card using the "plug-and-play" capability?

If everything is operating properly and the computers are connected together, now what steps would I have to take to transfer the files from the ME computer to the Acer? Would I just initiate a simple copy function of selected files from my ME computer with a Save as command to a new ACER Laptop directory? Or is there some other procedure that I've got to follow? Do I have to be concerned that some of the files on the ME computer have settings that were established for the older ME computer? If I copied such files unknowingly to the ACER Laptop, wouldn't the Acer Laptop possibly be affected by the ME Settings?

Hope I've been clearly stating my concerns. Any further help and clarification would be greatly appreciated.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:07 PM

Yes, you can remove the card and put it in yours.

If everything is operating properly and the computers are connected together, now what steps would I have to take to transfer the files from the ME computer to the Acer?

You have to enable file sharing. I am not that knowledgeable with networking. I'm not sure if it's the same procedure as XP. I would recommend posting in our networking forum HERE. It's further down the main forum page.

Do I have to be concerned that some of the files on the ME computer have settings that were established for the older ME computer? If I copied such files unknowingly to the ACER Laptop, wouldn't the Acer Laptop possibly be affected by the ME Settings?

No, you should be fine

Edited by garmanma, 16 April 2008 - 04:08 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#12 richie78

richie78

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:04 PM

You have to enable file sharing. I am not that knowledgeable with networking. I'm not sure if it's the same procedure as XP. I would recommend posting in our networking forum HERE. It's further down the main forum page.

Thanks for your help. I'm a little more confident about connecting the computers togetherr now. I've been delaying it for some time now, because I was afraid that I might screw up both computers so that they wouldn't work at all. I will be going to the page you reference to see if I can get more information on this. I may be making this out to be a very difficult problem, much more than it really has to be. I certainly hope not.

richie78

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

You will not damage either computer. The worst that can happen is it just won't work and that will be a configuration problem. Another site that is helpful
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
Good tutorials on the left side of the page
Mark
Posted Image

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:20 PM

I have used XCOPY withe excellent success, you need to put the screwed up drive in the good machine as a slave. Fdisk it and format it with the /s, then use the Xcopy command applicable for your version. I am at work so I do not have a copy here but Google has several references to it. It will make an exact copy of the good onto the other.

Here is one source http://www.computerhope.com/xcopyhlp.htm

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 06 May 2008 - 03:24 PM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users