Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kids Wiped Out Vista Operating System, No Vista Disk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 idsweetie72

idsweetie72

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:46 AM

When my husband and I were on vacation our kids somehow wiped the Vista operating system off their computer. The message when I boot up in F8, ( if I am remembering correctly), says that there was a problem in reloading Vista and I need to insert the Vista disk. Problem is, the computer didn't come with a recovery disk, we just got the computer, and I hadn't gotten around to making a backup disk of Vista. I am afraid that now I will need to purchase the Vista operating system and use that to fix their computer. Unless anyone has another idea? or does anyone know how to fix it without reinstalling?
Thank you so much, I have been rather frustrated wit this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:34 PM

hi sweetie,,lol,,,, it maybe that your pc cannot load the os, so it is still probebly still there but something has gone wrong and it will not load, its asking for the disc so it can recover the corrupted parts or put back deleted parts,,, or something in the regestry has changed that it dose'nt like,,,,, if you have any friends with vista and they have a recovery disc try there's and this should sort it out,,, your just recovering the os not installing it so dont reformat anything as this will compleatly wipe your HDD. If you dont know anyone with a disc then try a pc shop and they should be able to do it for a small fee,,,,,,, another way would be to take it back to the shop you got it from as it will still be under warrinty as it is new,,, tell them you dont know whats wrong with it and let them fix it,,,, living in england i would go for the latter as they have no choice under consumer law here,,,,,,,, good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:11 PM

Most likely you can purchase a restore CD from the manufacturer of the computer for far less than a copy of Vista will cost you. Just be sure that you have the Vista sticker with the product key on the computer.

You can download a repair disk for the 32 bit version from here: http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vist...oblitz-no-serve

This will let you run Startup Repair - but won't restore the entire operating system (so it depends on what damage was done).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:11 PM

This is just one of many reasons why you must have a Windows OS CD/DVD. It may be a branded version, but it must contain OS software that will allow you to completely re-install Windows from scratch if you ever need to.

Demand one from your computer manufacturer. If they offer to give you a Recovery CD, say "fine" but demand the Windows CD....you paid for the license, you have a right to have the CD/DVD. And don't even think of just settling for a recovery partition on the HDD. That will only allow you to restore to the factory setting when you got it home from the store.

If they say no, move up the food chain until you get to a yes.

Expect to pay about $10 for the CD. I went back & forth with DELL on this until they "sold" me their branded version of Windows XP SP2 for $10 + shipping. I didn't agree that I should pay for the CD, but at least I got it.....and yes, I had to reinstall my operating system last year due to severe file corruption.

Cheers. :huh:

#5 idsweetie72

idsweetie72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:00 AM

:huh:
I just wanted to thank you all for helping me out! I have their computer up and running!! (Finally, now they'll leave me alone about it!) :huh:

#6 fred333

fred333

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

That is great news that things were fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users