Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easter

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Asyuris

Asyuris

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:38 AM

I just wanted to see what are people's favorite thoughts or memories of Easter. I had a great experience this past week that will be one that I hope I never forget when it comes to Palm Sunday. I hope that everyone can relate to this or see where I am coming from.

Let me just start off by saying that I am from the Northern KY area and I am NOT a basketball fan. During the first round of the NCAA Basketball Tournament both the University of KY and the University of Cincinnati won which led to them playing each other in the second round. At first I could care less about this but then the excitement started building and I got sucked in. All the history and trash talk between the fans on both radio and TV was great. I got so wrapped up that I actually watched this game entirely.
How much was my experience like that of the crowd in Jerusalem when Jesus came riding in. I bet that most of that crowd did not even know who Jesus was but got caught up in the excitement of the disciples. Then, as I got upset with UC letting me down; so did the people of Jerusalem. Jesus was not the person they thought He would be and a short week later that crowd yelled "Crucify Him!"
What a way for me to get a new focus on the Triumphal Entry and how easy it is to get caught up in the excitement without realizing what you are cheering for.
I hope that everyone has a great, life changing, God blessed Easter season this year.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 21 March 2005 - 04:13 PM

Happy Easter to everyone!!!

one of my biggest memories from easter is when my sister was looking for candy eggs and she saw a basket of candy outside and she went to go outside and slammed into the clear slidder door. OUCH.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:30 AM

My thoughts are not that special. I just have fond memories of Easter as a child.

My Mother buying my brothers and sisters new Easter outfits to wear to the Easter Service. When I was little I loved having a beautiful new dress and shiny new shoes. We always had those white powdered donuts for our Easter breakfast. Then after Church we came home and hunted eggs. A big family such as mine, made it a lot of fun.

Click for a.....

:thumbsup: Easter Suprise :flowers:

Edited by scarlett, 27 March 2005 - 11:21 AM.

Posted Image

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:13 AM

I think is a great holiday as you get older, because its fun to give back to the younger generations, like my little brother.

When I little we would sit out our "empty" Easter baskets, and then morning come the "Easter Bunny" would hide them and put candy and what not in them. And we would have a contest of who could find there basket first. Well one year when I was like 9 or 10, I couldn't find it. I spent all morning trying to find it and I never found it, I look in my room, the bathrooms, the other bedrooms, the living room, the family room, the kitchen, even the basement!! Finally I gave up and started looking in stuff like the refrigerator. Well Finally I found it inside the oven. (Thank God the oven was off. :thumbsup: ) Yea my dad was really good at hiding them, but once we moved and stuff and my parents divorced and what not, and live has changed since then. So yea, today (knowing my mom) we did something similar but she isn't that good at hiding the Easter Baskets. :flowers:

Happy Easter
And God Bless to All!

Edited by yanowhiz, 27 March 2005 - 11:16 AM.

#5 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 12:06 PM

Happy Easter to one and all!

As a child growing up, our family tradition was always the same. We got up and looked for our baskets of goodies. But Mom and Dad had to be up before we could start the egg hunt. After that, we all got ready for church. I will always remember my dad having a Certs in his mouth on the way to church and Elvis or The Moody Blues on 8-track tape playing. After church, we headed back home where the house was already perfumed by the scent of ham in the oven. My mom and us girls stayed 'pretty' in our Easter outfits, handmade and sewn by our great Aunt Doris until well after Easter dinner. I'm with Scarlett on the big family. I'm the 3rd of 6 kids. Holidays are nicer with family all around you. The bigger kids always giving an extra egg or two to the little kids so their baskets weren't empty. But then sometimes stealing a little chocolate egg or bunny from their baskets happened too!

Thanks for the walk down Easter lane. What fond memories.

Scarlett - nice surprise. Thanks!
Yanowhiz - that's so sweet. Thanks for sharing.

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 12:20 PM

Your welcome. I'm not really from a big family, I'm the oldest. I just got a younger brother and thats about it. But my dad's side is huge! My dad has a brother and 5 sisters and my mom has 1 brother and 2 sisters. And my dad side every sister has kids (one has 6, another has 2, another has 3, another has 4, and the last one has i think 2 as well). And now that my parents are divorced ans stuff, my mom's b/f, and my dad's g/f come from a bigfamily as well, but yea.

Anywho back to Easter! :thumbsup:

I was talking to my mom and she was telling me about my first Easter and said when I woke up, (my dad was at work, weird? on a sunday (he worked at a steal mill locally until it got shut-down), and couldn't find my basket (this was the first time we started the tradtion of hiding the baskets. And my mom got all p/oed and called up my dad at work asking where hell is his basket. But yea I thought it was pretty funny. This was before my little brother we're like 3 years apart.

#7 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 12:35 PM

I think my mom had 6 kids to make up for the fact that she was an only child. It was important to her that no child was alone like how she felt a lot growing up. After her and my dad divorced, she married a guy with 8 kids. Talk about huge. And my dad married a woman with one child. Funny isn't it?
Of course, the families don't get together. Seems when we all grew up and had families of our own, we almost never see each other anymore. Plus, we are a bit spread out too. Out of the 6 of us, I think I'm the only one who is truly 'family oriented'. If I go a month without seeing my daughter or grandchildren, I start to lose it. My mom moved far, far away from her kids and grandkids. I won't do that. I can't. But that's just me.

By the way, my dad worked for the steel mill all his life. When he retired after 35+ years, he was supposed to get all these benefits and stuff. But instead, the company went bankrupt (Bethlehem Steel in NW Indiana) and all he got was a check for $2.40 for the sale of stocks. He got stiffed, big time. So, now he is working as a maintenance man at a retired folks' apartment complex in NC instead of enjoying his retirement in building his house and enjoying the coast.

#8 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 12:46 PM

By the way, my dad worked for the steel mill all his life. When he retired after 35+ years, he was supposed to get all these benefits and stuff. But instead, the company went bankrupt (Bethlehem Steel in NW Indiana) and all he got was a check for $2.40 for the sale of stocks. He got stiffed, big time. So, now he is working as a maintenance man at a retired folks' apartment complex in NC instead of enjoying his retirement in building his house and enjoying the coast.

I'm sorry to hear that. My dad lost his job in the steel industry as well (CSC Copper Weld Steel Corporation/Ohio). But yea he got a job at some place in Solon called Robbins, but he worked too much and it was like a 2 hour trip there and back. So yea, but now he ended up working at Thomas Steel.

Also back to Easter agian... (I always have this little stories for everyone don't I? lol)

Another Easter story: When I was about 11 and my brother was about 8, we use to go to my grandma's house (which is now our house, cause my great grandfather on my mom's mother side died so my mom's parents moved in there, and we moved in my grandparents old house, kinda confusing eh? anywho) and in the backyard (which isn't too big) my aunt and mom would hide easter eggs and since me and my brother would always fight (and still to this day fight.. lol). But during the "Easter Egg hunt we would always fight over the last egg." :thumbsup: even though we had about an even number of eggs. I found this funny. :flowers:

Oh and BTW thanks for the greeting card scarlet.

Edited by yanowhiz, 27 March 2005 - 12:49 PM.

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 08:12 PM

I enjoyed the Easter Egg hunts too... but I guess one of my greatest Easter moments was this morning. My church is a little church in a small town. Members in our congregation had a very rough year with different types of illnesses. This morning the pastor stood up and told us he always gets questions about why miracles never happen any more. The truth was that they still occur everyday if you take time to see them. Out of four people stricken with cancer, we have four survivors.

Being a volunteer firefighter/medic I have seen people walk away from what should have killed them.

I have seen a family whose daughter was murdered be given a Christmas filled with gifts, food and love.

I have seen fire destroy a house, and the community come together to create a new home.

This list could go on and on.

In spite of the bad, God still comes through with the good.

Happy Easter all

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#10 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 08:18 PM

Rigel,
That's a great lesson for all of us. I think many people feel they are drowning in bad news, crime, death, sickness, and war. We all tend to get wrapped up in things that we fail to see the good. The fact that my family is healthy, Scarlett's niece is doing so well, we are surrounded by friends and loved ones, the sky is still blue, we have food on our plates, faith in our hearts, and smiles on our faces. You're right. The list is so long that we'll just have to open our hearts, minds, and our eyes to see the love, beauty, and good still left in the world.
Thanks for pointing it out and sharing it with us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users