Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resize D: drive question

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 CMcD

CMcD

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:47 AM

I would like to do the same thing - re-size my "D" drive. But when I right click on the drive in computer management, "shrink" is not displayed as an option. (Windows Media Center Edition Version 2002 SP2)

Is this an alternative:

Copy the contents "D" to "C"

Remove "D" partition

Create a smaller "D" partition, copy files back to "D"

and create a new "F" partition in the space remaining after the smaller "D" has been created

Please note that "D" was originally created by my laptop manufacturer and contains the Windows installation data. These are obviously very important files, that I do not want to lose, but the partition the manufacturer made is half of my hard disk for a few files.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:17 AM

Split from topic in Vista forum
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:59 AM

Well...I don't know anything about recovery partitions or restore partitions...but I would be reluctant to fool around with a partition which was created for recovery/restoration purposes...unless I had a CD which was capable of performing restoration or clean install functionality.

System manufacturer and model number?

Total size of hard drive?

Size and free space available on each of the two partitions?

Thanks.

Louis

#4 bibh55

bibh55

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:46 AM

There is a fair chance that, if the manufacturer has made this special partition to restore the PC to its initial state, you cannot do anything with this partition, at least not anything as fundamental as resizing. That might explain why you cannot shrink this particular partition. My guess is that it contains unmovable files. I have seen several complaints about this elsewhere, because this information often uses an awful lot of space.

But then I am rather surprised that the manufacturer's partition shows up has "D" and is not hidden: these special partitions mostly are. I wonder who the manufacturer/reseller was.

#5 CMcD

CMcD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:27 PM

Thank you for the replies. Mine is a Acer Aspire 5100 laptop, Model BL51, 120 GB hard drive.

There are three partitions:

"PQSERVICE" 4.88 GB - 438 MB free

"C" 53.1 GB - 36.5 GB free

"D" 53.6 GB - 53.6 GB free - used 80.2 MB for Windows install, etc

In other words I have a 120 GB hard drive of which I can only use the 53.1 GB in "C".

Shrink does not apear as an option when I right click on any of the drives.

Any suggestions? Thanks

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:59 PM

Thank you for the replies. Mine is a Acer Aspire 5100 laptop, Model BL51, 120 GB hard drive.

There are three partitions:

"PQSERVICE" 4.88 GB - 438 MB free

"C" 53.1 GB - 36.5 GB free

"D" 53.6 GB - 53.6 GB free - used 80.2 MB for Windows install, etc

In other words I have a 120 GB hard drive of which I can only use the 53.1 GB in "C".

Only 80.2 MB for a Windows install and etc?? I'd be curious as to what is actually on that partition. Swap file, maybe? Seeing how the partitions on a single drive, that's in use, and not a separate drive, you cannot do it the way you want. You would need a partition manager GParted is a free open source one
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/data/7117...NG-OLM_0425.pdf

According to my interpretation of your user manual (page 6)...that D: partition is not your recovery partition, it's a storage sites for backups.

So it appears to me that you have plenty of room to move files into, since there are no backups stored there at this time.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 April 2008 - 04:24 PM.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:04 PM

PQService is the recovery partition. Recovery partitions are usually in a compressed format of some sort. They usually run from 4 to 6gigs, depending on the bloatware they add to it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 CMcD

CMcD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:53 PM

Thank you for telling me that the PQSERVICE partition is the recovery drive, as it has no viable files.

As far as what is on "D", of the supposed 80 MB, I can only see files totaling 300 kb. This is what caused my confusion, as the manual says the recovery files are hidden, and I cannot see the 80 MB of data. (My computer is set to view hidden files.) Is there any way to find out what is on this drive besides the 300 KB?

At least I can now use the storage without fear of damaging the recovery files, which was my ultimate goal. Thank you for all your help.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:00 AM

Hidden or not, you should be able to see the recovery partition...by using Disk Management to view the hard drive in totality.

Any hidden partitions should show up as something other than Windows partitions.

Start/Run...type in diskmgmt.msc and take a look.

Louis

#11 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:49 AM

Along those same lines.....I have one computer WXP with a "split"
hard drive.....The other uses only one. They both have 40 gig hard drives.
Which, in your opinions, is the better? It seems to me that breaking down
a 40 gig hard drive isn't the way. I'm fastly using up the C drive on one
and yet have 17 gigs free on the E drive.

#12 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:30 AM

Along those same lines.....I have one computer WXP with a "split"
hard drive.....The other uses only one. They both have 40 gig hard drives.
Which, in your opinions, is the better? It seems to me that breaking down
a 40 gig hard drive isn't the way. I'm fastly using up the C drive on one
and yet have 17 gigs free on the E drive.

Are you saying that you have two different computers with 40GB hard drives and one of them has it's hard drive set up with 2 partitions? Or are you saying that you have one computer with a 40 GB hard drive that has 2 partitions (C andD)
and another 40GB hard drive (E)?

Granted, in either case 40GB hard drives are small compared to todays standards. But let's look at it this way,
if you partition your drives you will install your O/S on one partition and use the other partition(s) for storage. This can really improve the performance of XP. On your C partition keep the size to a minumum. Use the other partitions for storage of programs that you use (but Windows doesn't need to operate), Music, Photo's, Games, etc...You may even choose to use another partition to install another O/S (like Linux) providing that you read up on it's requirements (as far as size limitations)...There are O/S's like Damn Small Linux that are a complete O/S and only require about 50MB of space to install (not sure how much space it needs to run well though).

As long as the computer manager can see all of the drives you can put stuff in any of them. One type of exeption would be that if you format NTFS partitions for use with XP and you have Window's 98 set-up as a dual-boot in another partition the manager will not see that partition and will not allow you to move files or folders between the XP partitions and the 98 partition. Not a big issue there as not too may people do it that way.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#13 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:23 AM

Two computer's, one has a C drive and
the other has a C and E. I guess I was confusing
people with that.....I don't know why it was C and E,
rather than C and D...Just the way the computer was built.
This is a Mom and Pop version....But I see your point on
where to down load things to. Thanks. :thumbsup:

#14 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:36 AM

You should be able to change the drive paths from E to D by opening up disk manager...Start>Run> type "diskmgmt.msc" without the quotes...Right click on E and choose "Change Drive Path Associations" or something along those lines...Change it to D and you're done.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#15 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:38 PM

You should be able to change the drive paths from E to D by opening up disk manager...Start>Run> type "diskmgmt.msc" without the quotes...Right click on E and choose "Change Drive Path Associations" or something along those lines...Change it to D and you're done.

Thanks Douglas, I already have a D drive assigned to my CDrom
and F to my burner.....I would have to actually swap E and D. I think
for now, I'll leave it as is. Later maybe :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users