Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software Installation Dvd Has This Virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 goldwave84

goldwave84

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:37 AM

Greetings

My bro got this DVD that has a collection of audio mixing software. We ran it on my anti virus (as I always do) and this popped up.

D:\-VirtualDJ Pro 4.2.r1\virtual.dj.4.2rl-patch.exe (next column) Potentially harmful program hacktool.crack (next column) Potentially unwanted program

So is this a false alarm? I have not installed the software yet, how do I avert the virus before installing the software?

Thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:04 AM

Given the name of the file, virtual.dj.4.2rl-patch.exe, it seems to me that it's a "crack" designed to circumvent the copy protection on the program. Such "patches" very often contain nasty malware and hacktool.crack (after a quick Google search) sounds as though it is such a nastie.

I would recommend NOT using the DVD or the file at all.

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:35 AM

You could alternatively download the program from a trusted site like Download.com and avoid using the one from the CD which from the info you provided, we can assume its cracked.

Regards,
David.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:44 AM

http://www.virtualdj.com/buy/

DJ programs are expensive
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:49 AM

Oh yes, I guess that is why it is cracked :thumbsup: Thanks for pointing that out DaChew.

Still, don't use that cracked version.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:04 AM

Some of the more expensive, established ones cost 1000$ and use a dongle. Others are just sold installed on a computer that you buy.
Chewy

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:08 AM

I am assuming there would be freeware apps of this type that do the basic things that they expensive ones do? Sorry I don't really use these programs.

#8 goldwave84

goldwave84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:54 AM

Anyway around it?

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:48 AM

Anyway around it?

yes buy the software and quit trying to steal it, does anybody read the rules anymore or even care?

:thumbsup:
Chewy

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:00 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry767095

LimeWire\\LimeWire.exe

BitComet.exe

It might even be better to finish the disinfection process before starting a new cycle

A lot of people donate a lot of their valuable time to fight malware, please show them the respect they deserve
Chewy

#11 goldwave84

goldwave84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

Wooh guys, slow down! First up, I didn't say I got infected, I was merely asking about the "virus". I scanned the DVD and it came up. Secondly, the whole stealing was a bit overboard. So Da Chew, cool it. I ain't trying to steal or anything of that sort. I was merely trying to test the software, at its full ability. Once again, i was NOT infected with that virus.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

goldwave84, let me clarify some things according to how we facilitate this forum. I will utilize some partial quotes below to illustrate my points. :

You asked:

My bro got this DVD that has a collection of audio mixing software. We ran it on my anti virus (as I always do) and this popped up.

Potentially harmful program hacktool.crack (next column)

how do I avert the virus before installing the software?

To which you received the following reply:

Given the name of the file, virtual.dj.4.2rl-patch.exe, it seems to me that it's a "crack" designed to circumvent the copy protection on the program.
I would recommend NOT using the DVD or the file at all.

Which if you had read the rules of our forums, inked to here: You would have been aware of two things we do not discuss or allow to be discussed. Those being bypassing security and copyright. The rule is quote, as follows "No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

DaChew referenced the cost prohibitive issue and why the application is likely pirated.

http://www.virtualdj.com/buy/

DJ programs are expensive

To which you reply

Anyway around it?

Which I read means, you still plan to use pirated software regardless of the consequences and still wish to discuss a potential piracy act. In direct violation of the forum rules. Which DChew brought out his comment that you took offense to, with your reply below.

Wooh guys, slow down! First up, I didn't say I got infected, I was merely asking about the "virus". I scanned the DVD and it came up. Secondly, the whole stealing was a bit overboard. So Da Chew, cool it. I ain't trying to steal or anything of that sort. I was merely trying to test the software, at its full ability. Once again, i was NOT infected with that virus.

So my reply to all of the foregoing, is the way you worded your comments alludes to you wanting to continue with the discussion. When it was brought up that it appears you have a hacked piece of software. Yet you ask "Anyway around it?", which to me means you have ignored all the comments and still wish to pursue copyright infringement which we do not allow. It was not the issue of whether you had been infected or not that was being brought to your attention. However it appears you missed that point by pursuing the way to negate the virus and use pirated software. Or as you stated "I was merely trying to test the software, at its full ability."

Add to this entire mix you have a open HijackThis log. Makes it doubly difficult to work your log while playing with other software. To which I will post our standard reply to those trying to work multiple issues with open logs:
Now that your log is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

That being said and since it seems this topic is going in an unfriendly and confrontational manner this thread is closed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users