Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wired Setup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dw4rfw0lf

dw4rfw0lf

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:32 AM

Hey guys,
I had 2 pcs connected and sharing ncable etc. Other comp went on fritz and i shut it down for bout a month. I turned it back on today, and it now says that we are connected at 100.0 Mbps (on both comps) but I can't find other comp on this one (and vice versa). Net connection not working either.
Nothing has been touched since I last was connected to it. I have insatalled CA Antivirus on this pc though. Would it be a firewall issue?
Any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rob7865

Rob7865

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:31 AM

Hi there

How are the 2 PC connected? Are they through a Router/Switch or just connected together with a Cross over cable??
Are both PC's in the same IP Address range (i.e. PC1 - 192.168.1.x ; PC2 - 192.168.1.x)?
If they are both in the same range, can you Ping either PC from the other?

Does the CA Antivirus programme also have a client firewall it installs?
To quickly establish if this is a firewall issue, disconnect the internet connection, but leave the PC's connected and disable any firewall software - can the PC's Ping each other now??

Feel free to post back.

Rob

#3 dw4rfw0lf

dw4rfw0lf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:01 AM

Hey Rob, thanx for the reply.
They are connected via crossover cable.
The IPs are diff. One Pc1 (this pc) starts 58. Pc2 starts, 169.
Im not exactly sure on the pprocedure to ping, could you explain pls.

Ya, the CA Av has a firewall installed.
I will check the ping, when you explain how to please.
Thanx

Troy

#4 Rob7865

Rob7865

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:33 AM

Hi Troy

OK there's your problem - "The IPs are diff. One Pc1 (this pc) starts 58. Pc2 starts, 169."

Are you trying to get both PC to "talk" to each other and also use the internet?
If so, you will need to purchase a Switch or an DSL / Cable modem/Rotuer. This will allow you to connect multiple PC's and also use the Internet at the same time. (take a look here setup home network for info & Advice)

OR

If both PC's are running XP or Vista you will need to run the INTERNET CONNECTION SHARING Wizard. This will configure both PCs to have the same IP address (currently you don't) and also allow the internet connection to be available to both machines (as long as the main PC is on).

Any probs, let me know

Rob

#5 dw4rfw0lf

dw4rfw0lf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:52 AM

Hey again Rob,
PCs have the same IP range now, the default gateway on PC2 is the same as the IP address on PC1.
But they still not acknowledging each other. They HAVE been connected before, so I have all the equipment I need, but yeah...
Any more suggestions? The ping maybe?
Cheers

#6 Rob7865

Rob7865

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:54 AM

Hi Troy

OK, if both PC's are in the same IP Range (ie PC1 192.168.1.1 - PC2 192.168.1.2). then try to ping one from the other.

Example:
On PC1 Start a Command Prompt (Start>RUN>CMD) and type the following command in the black window:
Ping {ENTER IP ADDRESS OF PC2} <Press Enter>
ie: Ping 192.168.1.2

If PC1 can communicate with PC2 you will get 4 reply messages back.
If no reply messages return - you may have a firewall blocking the Ping Packets - disable any firewall on the PCs (Disconnect the Internet first!).

From your discription I a guessing your trying to share the internet connection from one PC to the other? If this is correct have you also run the Internet Sharing Wizard on the Main PC?

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users