Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Won't Boot To Os

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ceili1952

ceili1952

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:32 PM

I recently bought an Excelstor Jupiter ESJ8160 IDE 160GB hard drive to replace one that I thought had gone bad. When I received it, I tried to install Windows Vista and it appeared to be going fine until it reached the point of restarting and completing the installation. When it restarted it would not boot up to VISTA, it would just hang. My son and I installed the new HDD in his computer and it completed the installation of VISTA there and worked fine. At that point, after swapping different parts of my PC into his we determined that 2 sticks of the ram were not fully working and to replace them as they were DDR2 would be a little expensive if that were not the total problem. I therefore decided to order an new motherboard, the AS Rock 4Core Dual Sata 2, an Intel Pentium 4 Cedar Mill 3.0 LGA 775 Single Core Processor and Kingston DDR2-667 ram. I also have a GEForce 7800GT Video Card, a Creative XFi Sound card and a LG GSA-H22L DVD RW drive. When all was put together, I tried to hook in the HDD that already had VISTA on it and once again it would not boot. I tried to reinstall it and again, same problem. I would also like to note that I now have the Western Digital HDD that I thought was bad installed with WIN XP with no problems. I contacted AS Rock Tech Support and they told me that they did not have any HDD incompatibility issues. They advised me that WIN XP and VISTA are encrypted so I cannot just attach the HDD to a new motherboard and it will work. They told me to run the System Repair tool when installing VISTA. Well I tried that and it did not find anything to repair and once again the same problem. I have also contacted Excelstor Tech support but have not received an answer yet. Can anyone tell me if they know what may be causing this and how to fix it? My son and I both have upgraded and repaired PC's before and have never come across this problem so we are at a loss as what to do next. We have tried everything possible to get this to work. We both seem to think that maybe this HDD is not compatible with this motherboard even though AS Rock says different. Any advice offered will be greatly appreciated! Hopefully I have given enough information to help solve this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:06 AM

I recently bought an Excelstor Jupiter ESJ8160 IDE 160GB hard drive to replace one that I thought had gone bad. I would also like to note that I now have the Western Digital HDD that I thought was bad installed with WIN XP with no problems.

Ok, so the drive you thought was bad is now working? on the new motherboard? If so when you boot from the old HDD does windows see that drive? and have you tried to install XP on the new one?

On a sidenote, never heard of that brand of harddrive, maybe its just junk. Is your RMA period up on the HDD?

Edited by smurfgod, 02 April 2008 - 09:08 AM.

#3 ceili1952

ceili1952
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

Thank you for your response. Yes, the hard drive that I thought was bad is working on the new motherboard with WIN XP installed. That HDD is a Western Digital. As far as the new Excelstor HDD, I have tried to install WIN XP on it also and have had the same problem. As noted above, this new HDD does work on my son's computer which is why I am confused. I have tried to search the internet on possible causes and solutions but have not been able to come up with anything. Also mentioned in my post was that when I tried to install VISTA it would not complete when rebooting, but did when I put it into my son's computer. Is there something in the Windows encryption that would screw this up when install was done on one PC and then completed with another? As for the Excelstor HDD, I bought it on NewEgg where it had good reviews. I do still have some time left to return it but I am just trying to see if I can resolve the problem before I do that.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:59 PM

http://www.excelstor.com/en/newsdetail.asp?news_id=117

I would also bet that they are just relabeled Fujitsu hard drives.

I've had a few Fujitsu drives in the past, without problem.

But, really...the better buys on hard drives these days all come from the larger manufacturers/sellers, e.g., http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....=%2475+-+%24100

If you are sure that the drive itself (not jumpers, not connections, not anything to do with users) is the problem, contact Newegg re RMA procedures. Bear in mind that they will charge you for the container to send it back and you will pay shipping...I think I'd just hang onto the drive and buy a new one.

FWIW: Whoever told you that you cannot take a hard drive from one system...and expect it to boot a different system (without a repair install of the O/S) was right on the mark, IMO. The settings for the two systems are different and Windows takes note of it.

Louis

#5 ceili1952

ceili1952
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:28 PM

Louis: Thank you for your information. You are confirming something that I have finally deducted could be the problem. Just to recap my situation, I had a HDD that I thought had gone bad. I then ordered the new HDD and installed it on my old motherboard, then tried to install VISTA on it getting the results that I noted in my first post. After determining with my son's computer that the new HDD was not bad I decided that I would order a new motherboard, processor and ram. When I received all of that and put the computer back together I tried to install VISTA again, same problem. When the motherboard manufacturer, AS Rock told me that I had to do a repair install, I took their advice but when I do that function it does not find any problems to repair. I believe that my problem is that I did not do that initially, but rather began to install VISTA on my PC without doing the Repair and it hung up, we hooked it into my son's PC where the installation finished which I believe messed up settings. I guess my question is if the Windows Repair tool is not detecting anything and the settings are messed up because of it of the installation essentially being done on 2 PC's with different configurations, is there any way to undo what I did? I even tried formatting the drive to see if it erases everything but that does not work either. I hope that this does not sound too confusing.

One note: We just hooked the HDD up as a second drive and I can access it for storage and I am seeing of the Windows files on it. Is there something that I can do within this environment to fix the problem that I am having.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:40 PM

If you can see the install from another system, there's hope :thumbsup:.

Now, the key question: Are those XP files or Vista files which are reflected in the Windows folder?

And...I suggest that you move any files (data) that might be available to be moved to the second system.

I'm thinking that...worst case is deleting whatever is on that drive and trying anew, while best case is some way of repairing the borked install.

But I would move all data files and My Favorites, email, music, photos, etc., based on the premise that things will not turn out as "best possible" outcomes.

Louis

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:52 PM

Based on what has been said so far, I would suspect that there is a either a hardware problem or some kind of connection problem with the computer that has the new motherboard. Perhaps you could try stripping it down to the bare bones (ie. take out the video card, DVD drive and anything else that isn't required for it to boot) and try again. You could try some of these hardware components in your son's computer to check that they are all functioning ok.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 ceili1952

ceili1952
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

Hamluis: In answer to your question, it is VISTA folders on this drive. Since I could not successfully run the Windows Repair tool when trying to re-install is there some utility that I can run from one of the folders that I can see on this drive to help repair this installation? I do not have anything of value on this drive other than what was installed in the attempted installation of VISTA so unless I am misunderstanding something I do not have any files to move so I would not be losing anything.

Budapest: I have ruled out any hardware issues, both on swapping items into my son's computer and also for the fact that I do have another HDD on this PC with WIN XP that boots up to the OS properly and everything is working fine. As I noted before, I believe that this is a problem in how I initially tried to install VISTA on the new HDD and now somehow settings/configurations are messed up and not allowing me to boot properly.

What about deleting the partition on this drive? Does anyone know if that would erase any bad configurations? I already formatted the drive but that did not do the trick. When searching the internet I came across something that led me to believe that doing that might be a solution but I do not want to go that route if I do not have to. I did that a number of years ago when I had Win95, but that was with a DOS environment.

Thanks to both of you for your comments and hopefully with this information you can help me further. In the meantime I keep searching the internet looking to see if I can find out if there is anyone else that has had this problem but so far have had no luck.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:25 PM

Deleting all partitions on the hard drive...should provide the best possible environment for a good install...if there are no problems with the drive itself or the media used for the install.

Formatting a partition with problems sometimes doesn't do the job, particularly if there is corruption in the file system (NTFS) itself. I tend to always favor deleting and then creating a new partition/formatting.

Louis

#10 ceili1952

ceili1952
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:22 PM

Well, I tried to delete then reformat the partion, then re-install Vista with no success. I did this function via installing the Vista disk and when I got to the part with the option 'Install Now' I chose Advanced Options, then delete partitions, then format. As I said before, in addition to posting on this forum, I am searching the internet for possible causes and solutions to this problem. I have come to the conclusion that there may be bad boot sectors on the drive because of my initial install on the old motherboard , which I thought would be erased/repaired by deleting/formatting the partition. The other issue is that I do have a Win XP disk and I am unable to install that at all on this HDD. From what I have read, I am thinking that I should have installed WinXP on this HDD first, then do an install of Windows Vista. I got this information from the following Microsoft Article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529. It is referring to a dual boot configuration but I believe it may very well apply to this as well.

Can anyone tell me if they are familiar with either of the problems mentioned above, if it is a possibility based on my descriotion of the problem and a solution.

Thanks again to all so far that have tried to help me. I really appreciate it!

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:58 AM

IIRC, the general way to do a multi-boot with all Windows O/Ses...most recent last, earlier versions first.

If I wanted to Win 98, XP, and Vista...I would do Win 98 first, then XP, then Vista.

Although I have a copy of Vista, I haven't installed it yet, so I'm not familiar with the screens.

I guess that I was under the delusion that there was only one O/S currently on the drive, which is why I thought deletion, then creation/formatting would work easily.

As far as bad sectors are concerned...at least two approaches you can take...well, three:

a. AFAIK, formatting works around any bad sectors on a hard drive...unless the drive is beyond such.

b. If Windows is installed, chkdsk /r works around bad sectors and attempts to recover any data that is found on such.

c. Diagnostic programs (at HD manufacturers' websites) will also mitigate bad sectors on a drive, again if the drive is not beyond repair. These programs will also provide a better status of the hard drive than any of the inherent Windows tools, IMO.

Louis

#12 ceili1952

ceili1952
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:51 AM

Luis,

Thank you again for your response. I can understand your confusion as to which OS I had on the drive there. Because it was a new drive I thought I would put VISTA on it, but when I had problems, I tried XP with the same problems. I am now back to VISTA. The only problem is I can't actually boot up to it which gives me limitations. Anyway, you are at least giving me some direction which is appreciated. As far as the recommendations that you noted:

1) What is AFAIK and how do I perform that function

2) chkdisk /r, am I understanding correctly that I need to run this within Windows? If so, how do I do that.

3) I checked the Excelstor site and there is a utility that I can download so I will also try that.

Bottom line is that I want to erase any memory off this HDD of any Windows installations and start new. (I hope)

Thanks again for your time. I at least am learning some things along the way.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:04 PM

OK, this is what I would do, if I wanted to start clean:

AFAIK = As Far As I Know, see http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/ I don't use very many of these, but many posters use a lot of them:).

1. Change the boot options in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD drive is the first option. Decide what sizes I want my two partitions for the two operating systems (XP and Vista) to be. I use 20GB as a standard size for the O/S and all programs installed (and the pagefile).

2. Make sure that only 1 hard drive is attached, the drive I intend to install Windows on. This is just a personal preference of mine :thumbsup:.

3. Insert the XP CD, boot or reboot the system.

4. CD should boot. Follow screens indicating that I want to install XP, not repair.

5. After the XP CD scans the system and reflects installed partitions on the hard drive...delete any/all existing partitions.

6. Entire drive should now be reflected as unallocated, unformatted space. I create my first partition, as large as I previously have decided. I format it in NTFS, using the slow method.

7. After it appears that all files have been installed for XP, I can either immediately create the partition for Vista...or I can wait. I prefer to wait and see if something unforeseen happens to my attempted install.

8. I boot into XP (after removing the XP CD) and probably install a firewall (I prefer a 3d-party to the Windows firewall), a reliable AV program, and immediately (right after I install my firewall) go to the WinUpdate site for my share of critical updates which assist me in my security efforts.

9. I worry about drivers and programs after that.

Once I'm satisfied that all is good with my XP install, I would then approach my Vista install in the same manner.

Louis

#14 ceili1952

ceili1952
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:17 PM

Louis,

Thanks, I will try that probably sometime this weekend. I will post my results after that. It probably won't be until Sunday, but then again I may decide to do it sooner. Right now I am just tired of this whole problem and just need to give myself a rest I think. If you are out on this forum you can check to see if I have posted anything if you want. Wish me luck.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:15 PM

It will be OK :thumbsup:, but good luck.

Post back if you have any problems/questions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users