Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Flash Card Reader Keeps Disconnecting...normal?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 american.swan

american.swan

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

Could it be static electricity causing my card reader to keep disconnection or was it just happenstance that when I just touched my card reader I lost connection?

Anyways, I only speak English and my Korean is terrible so this Korean XP machine drives me nuts. I don't know how to manage my USB ports or assign drive names or what not solely because this computer is in a foreign tongue. I might not even be asking this question if this machine was in ENglish.

Is there some program to manage my USB ports better then the default windows(korean) method?

And again....my card keeps disconnecting...sometimes it reconnects immediately....sometimes it doesn't.

GRRRR.

I have installed the windows USB2.0 drivers a few times just to make sure I had them.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:29 PM

was it just happenstance that when I just touched my card reader I lost connection? ----- sometimes it reconnects immediately....sometimes it doesn't.

Probably a faulty card reader. Could be something loose inside. I haven't seen one yet that wasn't on the flimsy side. I've bought a few
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 american.swan

american.swan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:57 AM

was it just happenstance that when I just touched my card reader I lost connection? ----- sometimes it reconnects immediately....sometimes it doesn't.

Probably a faulty card reader. Could be something loose inside. I haven't seen one yet that wasn't on the flimsy side. I've bought a few

This is my first card reader, so I don't know. I had a PDA made out of this same metal material and it had problems too. I wonder if the shiny metal is the problem. Shorting the thing out.

Unsure.

Thanks for the input

#4 american.swan

american.swan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:03 PM

Could the USB Flash Reader/Writer disconnect because I am playing music from the SD card? Is that harmful to the SD card? Playing music off of it.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:41 AM

Not really sure, but anything is possible. It's just an un-intelligent storage device. It doesn't care what type of media you have on it. I think I would suspect the card itself being faulty before what's on it. Is it possible to try another card with some pictures or text on it?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 american.swan

american.swan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:57 PM

Ok, yeah, when I get to work I'll try my other 4gb SD card. See if that's the problem. Yesterday, I don't remember it disconnecting, so maybe the problem is going away.

#7 american.swan

american.swan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:17 PM

I am going to search for USB controller drivers updates. Anyone know of any place I should look?

Changing the SD card doesn't fix the problem. The card-reader/writer manufacturing might send me another one.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:59 PM

You can get the USB driver from the manufacturer of your computer or the motherboard, or Microsoft
Mark
Posted Image

#9 american.swan

american.swan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:54 AM

This is nuts. I can't find the drivers for USB. This is a Samsung MV40 Magic Station case, so I assume that's what's inside.

Get this. When my computer does recognize that it has the SD card in the reader, most of the time when I click on "g:" it asks me what APP should I open it with. What kind of craziness is that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users