Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:35 PM
Well, the reouter does act a somewhat of a firewall by defualt because the ports that each computer from the network are differetn each time.
The most somplistic way to keep your network secure from outside soruces, is to install a network key. And secure admin access through the browser.
Heres what you do
1. In your browser address bar type the defualt gateway for your linksys router.
Ex. 184.108.40.206 is i think the defualt one.
2. It will ask for your admin name and admin pass. Enter those, you shouldve gotten them with your roter.
3. Once you enter that youll be taken to the control panel for the router.
4. Browse to the area where you can set a network key
5. Mix the network key up with letters and numbers
6. browse to the area where you change the admin pass and name
7. Change the admin pass and name to something complicated that a hacker wouldnt guess.
8. Save changes and exit out.
9. Test out your new network key and login
10. If its all good, enjoy your secure network