Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Router As Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mickeyw3340

mickeyw3340

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:22 AM

I am pleased with my LinkSys Wireless Router. Is it automatically a hardware firewall through the simplistic install, or must I do other tweaking? Also how does one go about being 100% certain their system is not accessable from outside. Do you simply go to someone else's site and computer and try to ping your computers? I can't imagine that that is a 100% indication that you are invisible from outside. Thanks in advance.
Mickey
......Mickey ....
LinkSys Wireless Home Network.
LinkSys Broadband Router
2 Desktop PCs ...One Laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:11 PM

Go to Shields Up ! to test your network . You maybe surprised .
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:35 PM

Well, the reouter does act a somewhat of a firewall by defualt because the ports that each computer from the network are differetn each time.

The most somplistic way to keep your network secure from outside soruces, is to install a network key. And secure admin access through the browser.

Heres what you do

1. In your browser address bar type the defualt gateway for your linksys router.
Ex. 192.161.1.1 is i think the defualt one.

2. It will ask for your admin name and admin pass. Enter those, you shouldve gotten them with your roter.

3. Once you enter that youll be taken to the control panel for the router.

4. Browse to the area where you can set a network key

5. Mix the network key up with letters and numbers

6. browse to the area where you change the admin pass and name

7. Change the admin pass and name to something complicated that a hacker wouldnt guess.

8. Save changes and exit out.

9. Test out your new network key and login

10. If its all good, enjoy your secure network

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users