Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 whiteshoes

whiteshoes

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

hi all i have been throwing together a pc, (for the first time)for my dad. from various bits i have been given and a couple i have bought. i have an asus a7n8x motherboard, a radeon x800 graphics card and a 450watt power supply i have 750 mb of ram,a dvd writer and a floppy disc in a amd case. the hard drive is an oldish one from my dads old pc.when i boot it up all the lights light up the pc beeps,clicks and whirrs. it then flicks thru a couple of pages of bios(i think . its a black screen with a few of the systems details in white characters) then goes to the page you would use if you were starting the pc up in safe mode. which ever one of the options you choose it goes in a kind of loop (ie the couple of pages of bios and back to the safe mode option page).apparentlysomebody my dad knows tried to put a copy of windows xp onto his harddrive but because the processor was ancient it couldnt operate properly. a friend of mine suggested formatting the harddrive but i am unable to get out of this loop apart from when i boot the pc up and press the delete button and i get into another bios page but i am at aloss as to what to do to get out of this loop,format the pc or anything else at the moment any help would be very much appreciated as my dad has been sat at home pc less for about 2 weeks now :thumbsup:
tia john

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:50 PM

When you get into the BIOS you have to change the boot order to make the CD drive the first boot device. You can then put in the XP CD into the drive, reboot and you're on your way
BIOS Survival Guide
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 whiteshoes

whiteshoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:38 PM

hi garmanma thx fo yourspeey response i followe your instructions and itworked . the pc is up and running B) i cant tell you how grateful i am for your help :huh: :huh: :) hope i may be able to help you in return one day.... thx again :thumbsup:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:59 PM

Glad it's working. Tell your dad Happy Computing
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users