Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Numerous Bad Image Warnings!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 simon1287

simon1287

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

Hello all!
I'm new to this so please bear this in mind when replying.
On Saturday, my desktop was perfect. I even booked a flight and watched a movie on it!
I left the house after this and my Mum used the machine on Sunday. Today I've returned to find that suddenly, my machine is pretty unusable and she cannot recall doing anything unusual with it.
Everytime I start the machine, I am shown several Bad Image warnings for various programs ranging from my IP Phone through to my Nokia PC Suite and my printer software.
After clicking through these 10 or so warnings, I am shown the following two warnings approx every 5 seconds and there is no way of stopping them, they just keep coming back!

Server: SiteAdv.exe - Bad Image
The application or DLL C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6253\SASubMgr.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

BrStDvPt.exe - Bad Image
The application or DLL C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfl06a\Pdrvinst.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

I've tried scanning with AVG and have spent 4 hours using my Laptop (as the Desktop is covered with these warnings) to search for solutions. Despite this, I'm no further forward and find myself asking you good people for your wisdom and advice.
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:52 PM

Hi; can you please tell us which windows version is involved; how the computer connects to the internet, and what other protection other than avg do you have on there?

does your mum recall doing anything unusuall or , what DID she do on the computer while you were not there ?

will it let itself be taken into safe mode?

#3 simon1287

simon1287
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:18 PM

Hello Ruby.
In response to your queries:

>can you please tell us which windows version is involved?
Windows XP Home with SP2

>how the computer connects to the internet?
I use an ADSL modem connected to my LAN card.

>what other protection other than avg do you have on there?
I have McAfee Security Suite, which comprises of antivirus and a firewall. All are enabled but the subscription expired a few weeks ago so this evening, I installed AVG (as recommended by several forums) to scan the machine with recent virus definitions.

>does your mum recall doing anything unusual?
She recalls Outlook Express freezing on her Windows XP user account for several days beforehand and something to do with what sounds like Google Toolbar stopping her from using IE properly (I'm sorry to be so vague with this. It amazes me too that she's been using a computer for 20 years and still doesn't seem to have a clue!)

>what DID she do on the computer while you were not there ?
She was trying to check her email and use IE but it kept freezing and these Bad Image warnings started.

>will it let itself be taken into safe mode?
Yes.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users