Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:06 PM

Hi all,

I have dial up and I keep trying to download an anti-virus software, but it keeps kicking me off the internet before its done. My brother said something about a download manager? But I dont really know of a good free one that will help me. If you have any suggestions it would help alot. Also lets say I am connected at 49.2 KB to the net and I download at like 2 to 4 KB where is my other like 45 KB at. And is there a program that can use all of my connection to download? I wouldn't care if I could see a page as long as it was downloading that much faster. If there is what is it called and how do I get one.

Please Help me,

swaMprUnner

If this is the wrong forum for this question, which one is and if so Im sorry for posting it here.
I would rather be a little overkill with my computer. Than to have my computer be killed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

you have this thread associated with this problem

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry784084

through whom DO you dial up? you may well hae AN antivirus package in it

and what windows version are we dealing with ?

also is this a new computer with Norton already preinstalled or an older one with no possibility of a pre installed norton?

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:49 PM

I am connected at 49.2 KB to the net and I download at like 2 to 4 KB where is my other like 45 KB at.

you connect at 49Kbits not bytes

so 4-6KBytes would be right

some modems connect aggresively and then retrain to a lower stable speed

cleaning up your phone line is essential to a stable connection

not having call waiting turned off will kick you off
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:58 PM

I was the one that started that thread and didnt get a reply so I started one here hoping someone would help me. Its not a new computer and as far and it does not have nortin on it and I am running Windows XP. I am checking on the anti-virus through my provider right now. But do you know of a program that will utilize almost all my connection to download stuff. And what do you think of a download manager?

Thank you for the reply I felt alone on this one.

swaMprUnner
I would rather be a little overkill with my computer. Than to have my computer be killed.

#5 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:03 PM

THanks Chewy for the math mix up. I dont have call waiting. Do you of a way to speed it up or to be able to hold the top speed at the start of the download. Besides getting high speed.

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:10 PM

before you start downloading any antivirus program it would help to know what, if anything is already in place; how have you been surviving for all this time without AN installed av program AND on dial up?

what other protection do you have ; and are you at all considering using ( or have already used) any P2P programs ??

#7 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

Nothing before a few days ago.
But so far I have:
COMODO firewall
Spyware Blaster
SUPERanit-spyware
AVG-Antirootkit

All free I would like to keep my anti-virus the same. Is that all I need or should I download an anti-virus. I already found all kinds of stuff on my PC but I dont think I got it all yet.

I also got TCPView and some other tools I found off a tutorial, but I havent really learned how to use them yet.
I got another question to but I can make another forum for it if you want?

Do you know what Tomcat.exe is?
Also my clock is 1hr behind, when the time change it didnt and every time I reset it. It works for awhile and then goes back 1hr.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

to troubleshoot dial up connection issues, get up early in the am, disconnect all other devices from the phone line and test your download speeds

6KB/s is about all you will ever see

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/awards.htm

this might be safe, I don't know

don't you have a friend on broadband and a usb drive?
Chewy

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:32 PM

the best thing about dialup is hackers can't stand it and malware takes forever to infect you
Chewy

#10 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:38 PM

Nothing before a few days ago.
But so far I have:
COMODO firewall
Spyware Blaster
SUPERanit-spyware
AVG-Antirootkit

All free I would like to keep my anti-virus the same. Is that all I need or should I download an anti-virus. I already found all kinds of stuff on my PC but I dont think I got it all yet.

I also got TCPView and some other tools I found off a tutorial, but I havent really learned how to use them yet.
I got another question to but I can make another forum for it if you want?

Do you know what Tomcat.exe is?
Also my clock is 1hr behind, when the time change it didnt and every time I reset it. It works for awhile and then goes back 1hr.

erh hum; there is no evidence on ANY antivirus program in that list ?

and where is tom cat exe located ?

I am not convinced you are not already infected

#11 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:02 PM

Ya Im pretty sure that I am infected. There is some anti-virus in that list but do you think it is enough all the forums I read said I should have one like avast or AVG?

I was running SUPERAntispyware and I think it picked it up so I quarntined it. But when I was running TCPView I seen it was running so I stoped the connection I am not sure exactly. I will look around for it and get back to you. Do you know what it is?

#12 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:05 PM

'COMODO firewall
Spyware Blaster
SUPERanit-spyware
AVG-Antirootkit'

which of those listed programs do YOU think IS an antivirus program?

#13 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

SUPERAnitSpyware has some doesnt it?

#14 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:24 PM

NONE of what you have listed is an antivirus program :thumbsup:

we need to find out what, if any thing IS on the dial up line for antivirus protection before you start downloading any antivirus program else you can have clashes ; who is your ISP?

(I know from my past experiences with dial up it can be painfully slowwwwww :flowers: )

#15 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

Thank you for your help ruby1, I am going to download a download manager and see if that helps. I will post the results when I test it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users