Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big Money in Spyware and Adware

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:57 AM

According to this article in money.cnn.com Ask Jeeves is about to be sold for 2 Billion USD. But even more interesting is the paragraph buried at the end of the article which states:

Oakland, Calif.-based Ask Jeeves nearly doubled in size last year when it bought Interactive Search Holdings for $501 million in May. That included web properties such as My Way, iWon, Excite, My Search and My Web Search.

This is the big reason these companies want to infect your computers. Its also the big reason why the little guys trying to do the right thing are being sued for calling these products adware, spyware, or foistware and telling people how to remove these intrusive programs from their computers.

Lavasoft, the makers of AdAware SE were threatened with a lawsuit by WhenU.com if they didn't stop releasing software that removed WhenU from computers and they did comply for a time but have since allowed it to be removed again. More recently spyware company Hotbar threatened a small website with a lawsuit. See Hotbar Threatens Cloudeight.

The little guys (and I include BleepingComputer.com here) simply can't afford the litigation to defend themselves from these mammoth companies and some will back down just out of self-preservation.

Contact your Federal Goverment Representative and make it known you don't want this programming on your computer and demand laws protecting users or these corporations are going to win.

At the very least boycott Ask Jeeves and you can hit THEM in the pocketbook as their number of hits goes down right along with their revenue.

Edited by Leurgy, 21 March 2005 - 01:37 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users