Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continus Loop - After Windows Xp Logo....

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mar5hy

mar5hy

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:40 AM

Running Windows XP - Which continues to loop once it gets past the XP logo.

1) I've run chkdsk /r, doesn't complete 75%
2) fixboot, fixmbr - both complete
3) bootcfg /rebuild fails - errors
4) copying the ntoskrnl.exe from the xp disk - gives me access denied
5) Wont give me the option of repairing the installation
6) Doesn't ask me for a password once in recovery console. Tried a few suggested commands, comes up with access denied

Wont let me boot into safe mode. Restarts after displaying the xp logo with a quick flash of the bsod.

Any one got any other suggestions of what I could try?
Brighton, UK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheNerd

TheNerd

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:16 AM

You could try reinstalling XP over top of the corrupt one. Just make sure that you don't format the drive.

You may also want to try running a hard disk recovery program called Spinrite (http://www.spinrite.info) which may be able to recover your Windows install if there are problems on the hard disk.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:30 AM

Let's see if we can stop the restarts and see what the error message is.

Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced> Startup and Recovery. Under startup and Recovery click on Settings, uncheck the box in Automatically restart under System failure.

When you can finally see the error message please post it back here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 TheNerd

TheNerd

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:44 AM

Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced> Startup and Recovery. Under startup and Recovery click on Settings, uncheck the box in Automatically restart under System failure.

From what I understand he can't even get into Windows to do that.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:52 AM

What error messages came during the chkdsk /r? If it cannot complete, it normally advises the user of what the problem might be with the drive or file system.

Have you tried downloading a diagnostic for your hard drive? These are available at the respective hard drive manufacturer websites, generally designed for their products.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp. - http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287#samsung

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

If you go this route, run the long test (if there is a long and short).

Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:04 AM

From what I understand he can't even get into Windows to do that.

Alas...this is what the brain does on a uncaffinated morning.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 TheNerd

TheNerd

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:55 PM

Alas...this is what the brain does on a uncaffinated morning.

Morning + No Caffeine = disaster for me :thumbsup:

#8 McStick

McStick

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

You haven't by any chance upgraded to a certain build of the xp sp3? there was a problem with one of the build of both it and vista sp1 continously restarting.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:17 PM

I agree with hamluis. If chkdsk won't complete then the likely problem is with the hard drive. Best to run a diagnostic test on it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:20 AM

Since this seems to be an error within NTOSKRNL.EXE - and you get errors when running bootcfg /rebuild (which is done previously when NTLDR is controlling the boot process) - I'd have to suspect that there's something awry with your boot.ini file. Can you access that and paste a copy here? Also, what is the error message(s) that you get when running bootcfg /rebuild?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 mar5hy

mar5hy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:36 AM

Morning all, and thank you for your suggestions. After running the Seagate tools - it found many errors, I repaired them and now the harddrive is functioning correctly again.
Thank you once again.
Brighton, UK

#12 TheNerd

TheNerd

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:00 AM

Morning all, and thank you for your suggestions. After running the Seagate tools - it found many errors, I repaired them and now the harddrive is functioning correctly again.
Thank you once again.

Good stuff! Glad you were able to fix it.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:55 AM

That's good news!

I would suggest keeping an eye on the drive (and backing up your data). Should the problems return, then I'd have to suspect that the drive is dying.

In most cases the repair should fix things permanently. In some rare circumstances, the errors will recur. If this happens, I'd have to suspect that the drive was dying and would suggest getting a new drive before the old one fails completely.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 TheNerd

TheNerd

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:47 PM

That's good news!

I would suggest keeping an eye on the drive (and backing up your data). Should the problems return, then I'd have to suspect that the drive is dying.

In most cases the repair should fix things permanently. In some rare circumstances, the errors will recur. If this happens, I'd have to suspect that the drive was dying and would suggest getting a new drive before the old one fails completely.

This is a good suggestion. When you run into problems like this once you need to be prepared that it may happen again. Of course, we all know ;) that we should always have reliable backups at all times :D

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users