Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix Preparing To Run

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shinomen

shinomen

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:29 AM

I've run combofix many times on computers and have never run into this problem before.

I ran combofix on a computer I suspected to be infected (I was booted normally, not safe mode). The combofix program loads the green bars, then brings up the blue screen that states "Combofix is preparing to run", then the window goes away and nothing else happens. I waited for about 30 minutes just to make sure it wasn't being slow.

When I had trouble, I thought that a virus or spyware might be blocking it and decided to run smitfraudfix in safe mode. When I ran smitfraudfix, it runs it's course of killing explorer.exe and then it's window closes and explorer.exe does not load back and smitfraudfix appears to be finished. (Which from past experiences is not normal)

McAfee was installed on the computer so I figured it was blocking combofix, so I disabled all startup items in MSConfig and also disabled any non Microsoft services in MSConfig. Rebooted, tried again same problem.

I even removed McAfee using the McAfee removal tool because even with all startup and non MS services disabled, process explorer showed that a McAfee program was still running.

Also ran norton removal tool just in case because I have seen problems when norton is uninstalled using Add/Remove programs (note: norton was on system before McAfee was installed)

Then, I decided that maybe something is not registered properly and ran Dial-a-Fix and checked all boxes. When finished, I rebooted and same problem occured.

I have now done a repair installation of windows xp and again the same problem occurs. (also same thing occurs with smitfraudfix as mentioned earlier)

I am now repairing the permissions on the registry using dial-a-fix and will see what happens.

Does anyone else know why this might be happening?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shinomen

shinomen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:38 AM

Quick update, I downloaded another combofix file this morning from bleepingcomputer.com and when I ran it, it went as far as backing up the registry then closed and nothing else happened.

Edited by shinomen, 01 April 2008 - 08:40 AM.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:44 AM

one might ask if you read the combofix disclaimer and who suggested you run combofix as it is only for use under direct supervision of a trained malaware expert :thumbsup:

what is apparently wrong with the computer?

#4 shinomen

shinomen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:00 AM

The computer is slow to boot right at the beginning of loading the GUI of windows and then after about 3 minutes the system is very responsive. So I was running combofix to see if there was any malware that had masked itself as a driver or etc.

Many times when I have removed spyware and viruses, combofix will still find and remove other malware etc. from the computer.

I was trying to get some insight as to why the combofix program would close after loading up like it has.

Do you have any ideas?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:05 AM

Please note the message text in blue at the top of this forum.

You should not be using Combofix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

If you need assistance with malware removal that requires the use of ComboFix, we will direct you to our HJT Preparation Guide.

Discussion pertaining to how Combofx works, what it can or cannot do is not avaible to the public in order to safeguard and protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers. As such, the developer does not want his tool discussed outside of private forums.

If your computer seems slow to boot, read Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 shinomen

shinomen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:29 AM

All right, I can understand not wanting to talk about how the program works to protect it's integrity.

Thanks for the courteous response.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:34 AM

If after trying the suggestions in the "Slow Computer" thread, you're still having issues, then we can try investigating further.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users