Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Problem On Nec Versa E680

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 eggway

eggway

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:30 AM

Everytime i switch on my laptop, when it began to load BIOS status that moment, it will bleep continuously non-stop and it hang there with the sound. Now, when i switch on the laptop, i have to continuously press any key when it load BIOS status to allow it to load windows after that. I think maybe is there something wrong with my keyboard. Any soloution??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:32 AM

First make sure no key's are jammed down as this would cause a continious beeping tone

Can you post up the motherboard and chip make/model numbers and i'll look for any information on the bios errors
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 eggway

eggway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:46 AM

I sure that no key's are jammed down as i pressed every key to test. How do i check motherboard and chip make/model numbers?? Thankz

#4 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:00 AM

If you can get into windows?

Go Here and download a prgram called Everest. Once installed, load up and this will give you all the information in regards to your laptop IE, make and model number of motherboard. Post up once you have these
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#5 eggway

eggway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

Motherboard Name: NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL NEC Versa Premium
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Montara-GM i855GM
BIOS Type: Insyde (06/19/03)

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:21 PM

when i switch on the laptop, i have to continuously press any key when it load BIOS status to allow it to load windows after that.

Do you mean to say that after it loads Windows, it runs OK?
When you start it up and hit the delete key to enter the BIOS, does it make the noise then?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 eggway

eggway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:56 PM

yes, after it load windows, it is fine.
the problem is only the booting up process.
when u boot up the computer, it will load bios status and then windows.
the bleep sound occur when loadin bios and if i dun press any key it will hang there with the bleep sound.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:03 PM

Humor me and reset the CMOS by removing the system board battery for 10 minutes or so
Not sure where NEC puts it. Either underneath the keyboard or in the access area where the memory goes. If you have to remove the keyboard, I'd just go ahead and replace the battery

Edited by garmanma, 01 April 2008 - 10:08 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#9 eggway

eggway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:41 AM

i reset CMOS by removing the system board battery for 10 minutes. the problem still does not resolve. another issue appear. the wireless network adapter was disable. the check the device manager, it was enable. but the intel pro wireless and windows wireless manager detected it was off/disable. what is key to enable the wireless adapter by keyboard for my laptop model?? F1 to F12 key working. Fn,Ctrl and Alt key working too.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:51 AM

A quick question before I go searching around their site. Was this computer bought in the US or Singapore? Sometimes it makes a difference for downloads and patches
Mark
Posted Image

#11 eggway

eggway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:53 AM

Singapore, bought in year 2001

#12 eggway

eggway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:08 AM

I uninstall the wireless driver by device manager. Apon restart, windows auto detect and install the wireless adapter. But the wireless adapter was still not enable

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:41 PM

Because it runs fine after you log into Windows, I would tend to rule out memory, video, or hardware errors and you say Device Manager is OK other than your wireless. I usually don't recommend a BIOS update, but in this case it might be warranted. They did have an update in 2005. The BIOS update, your wireless driver and all the other drivers for your laptop are herehttp://www.nec-computers-ap.com/ Just enter your series, then the number
The site for online local (Singapore) support is http://www.nec-computers-ap.com/support The site was on and off for me, a lot of 404 page errors

Edited by garmanma, 02 April 2008 - 06:44 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#14 eggway

eggway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:52 PM

Wireless issue solve after calling NEC support, opening up case and do some wiring. Back to keyboard issue. How do i fix it?? NEC support say that the keyboard maybe faulty.

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:34 AM

The hardest thing will be to find one. I have no idea of where to start looking in Singapore. I haven't worked on any NEC laptops, but it's pretty straight-forward. You remove the bezel above the keyboard and remove 2 to 4 screws. Gently lift it up from the top. It's attached to the system board with a flat ribbon cable. There should be a clip on the system board socket that you slide or lift to open it and gently pull the ribbon out
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users