Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:56 AM

I have an on-going problem with the pc suddenly without warning, just shutting down and rebooting. It is especially when I use the CD Writer (drive E)
I thought it was every time I used Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD programme, but it has happened to me when I tried to burn a disc in Itunes.

I noticed last night, it happened when the Instant CD programme was calculating tracks, and hadnt started burning. This morning I switched the pc on to find a Microsoft Error Report which said i had a 'Devise Driver problem which could stop the pc to stop unexpectantly - the error is a 'Stop' error'

any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:40 AM

Would you please look in the Event Viewer to see what error/s are appearing at the times that you are getting these messages.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer. Be sure that you choose System.

The error will appear in the far left column and will appear as a red dot with a white X inside. Each of the columns has a title at the top of them, the column that you want is the Event column. When you see an error follow it to the right across the page to the event column, there will be a set of numbers in there, this is the error code. If you right click on the error code a drop menu will appear, click on Properties, another page will open which will contain a description of the error.

Please post the error codes and descriptions back in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for coming back to me so quick - normally with the time difference between the UK and USA, I dont normally have a reply until late afternoon my time.

I have looked in Event Viewer, and spotted the error icon, and it is Event ID 1003 System Error.

Is this what youre after?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:44 AM

Take a look at the following Microsoft KB article. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894278

However I caution that Event ID 1003 is an ambiguous identifier, and may take more research to actually pinpoint the cause. Beyond the one KB article above.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:25 PM

There may have been a long, hexadecimal number like STOP: 0x0000007a - if so, could you include that also? You may also be able to find that when you double click on the error in Event Viewer. Also, if it mentioned a specific driver (usually a filename that ends in .sys) that would help also.

Finally, you could search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp (usually located in C:\Windows\Minidump). If you find it, use this link to run an analysis ( http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246 ) and paste the results into your next post to see if it'll have something we can work with.

FYI - sometimes the memory dump won't contain useful information. In that case I'd suggest enabling Driver Verified to help to pinpoint the driver that's at fault.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:22 PM

I have gone back into Event Viewer and the only other 'Error Code' i could find was 1000008e followed by 4 different sets of parameter numbers

#7 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:56 AM

Can you tell me how to enable the Driver Verified please.
I had a look at the majorgeeks link, but it was far too complicated for me.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:23 AM

Try uploading a copy of the .dmp file in your next post - without it the results of Driver Verifier may not be significant.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:53 PM

I'm sorry, all this is foreign to me. What is a .dmp file and where do I find it? Whe the PC shutsdown and restarts the screen just goes black until restarts. Then I received the MIcrosoft Error Report, but I dont see anything in the Event Viewer that looks like a .dmp file.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:25 AM

Search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp. They're usually located in this folder: C:\Windows\Minidump

If there's a bunch of them, only upload the latest 2.

#11 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:05 AM

Thanks. I'm at work at moment, but I will locate them this evening and post on site tonight.

#12 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:34 PM

There are 19 files in the minidump folder - however I have tried to copy and paste onto this page but paste was ghosted out.
I then clicked on upload but its saying 'you are not permitted to upload this type of file'

sorry - is there any other solution?

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:45 PM

Finally, you could search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp (usually located in C:\Windows\Minidump). If you find it, use this link to run an analysis ( http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246 ) and paste the results into your next post to see if it'll have something we can work with.

#14 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:26 AM

I have downloaded it on the works computer for a trial run - problem is their minidump is empty. But I will give it a go over weekend.
Will you check with my findings on Monday please?

Thanks for your help

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:59 AM

The program will work on any computer that it's installed on. Then you can bring a copy of the .dmp file over to that computer and can run it there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users