Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Psu Problem?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:38 PM

It's only been happening recently, I'll be on my computer, surfing, talking ,whatever. And everythings fine. I'll decide to boot up Counter Strike or any game, then when it's about to go in the game, BAM, Direct 3D error or something undesirable in the game. I thought maybe it was just Counter Strike. Oblivion's completly screwey and full of artifacts as well in other games.

Only games that actually require some juice do this. But only when my power supply I think is hot.

What I'm thinking is, is that my power supply can't handle the my X1950 pro's demand for power once an intensive game starts when my power supply is overheating. That's the only logical problem I could think of since my card itself is good around 45C idle, 56C full load. I can't give an accurate temp for the power supply but by judging with my trusty ole' hand, I'd say close to 60C when it's not working properly.

Today when it wasn't working properly I pulled off the side panel, opened my window ( I live in Canada, k. That thing will freeze solid in minute!), fanned it off with a mouse pad ( I'm a improvisor! ) and it worked like a charm! So could a 600Watt PSU not produce enough juice for my rather not power hungry computer even when it's fairly hot.

Ventilation's a problem with it to, I don't have the biggest case, but everything fits in snugly.

I'd be happy if anyone could help or come up with a different reason. I took a screenshot so you know what I'm looking at, No laughing at my wiring job, there's like 40 feet of extra cables and the top 80mm fan for the PSU is cluddered.

Posted Image

AMD Athlon +3500 2.2Ghz
1Gb DDR (512x2)
Asus Amerbine Mobo
Saphire X1950 Pro
X-Finnity 600-Watt PSU.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:11 AM

What is the 12V rail amperage of that PSU. If what I found is correct you need a 30A 12V rail.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:42 AM

It has 2 12V rails with one having 18Amps, other with 20Amps. Only been having this problem recently, like past week.

Update: PSU fans are dead, so I was kinda' right. Poped open the PSU box. One of the fans look replace-able. So I yanked it out, the other one has it's 2 wires soldered on, I could buy 2 80mm fans and the second one, splice the wires on? Is that feasable? Or should I fork out money for a new one which I'd much rather not do as I'm pretty handy.

Edited by protozero, 01 April 2008 - 04:44 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:03 PM

Hi protozero,

It could possibly be your processor. Some games put more demand on the processor. See if those games cause a high usage on the CPU while the game is running. Then check the usage with a game you don't have problems with.

Your CPU meets the minimum requirements but the recommended is a 2.4GHZ

http://www.steamgames.com/v/index.php?area...e&AppId=240

Look down right side for system requirements.

Have you checked for any Video card driver updates?

It's hard to tell if your CPU has dust in the fan that could cause heat build up. It's good to use a can of compressed air for electronics and blow out the dust. Also sometimes the thermal grease between the processor and fan needs to be renewed

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...p?EdpNo=3071621
http://static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/Cooler_M..._Data_Sheet.pdf

Cooling facts:

http://static.tigerdirect.com/html/guide_B...PC_Cooling.html

#5 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:04 PM

Uhhmmm....the 2.4ghz is for Pentiums. You should've read the whole post. When things were messing up all my games where messed up, even a 2D MMO I played, I would highly doubt it being my CPU as it doesn't usually jump much over 42C. It stays around 35C on idle and low 40's on load.

I have no trouble playing Counter-Strike most of the times, only the past week were things getting screwy.

Edited by protozero, 01 April 2008 - 08:05 PM.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:25 PM

looks like you case needs better ventilation, never did like those ultra brand products

the fans should splice in ok but your power supply may have been damaged

try to allow as much airflow around the back of the case, is inflo unobstructed?

Edited by DaChew, 01 April 2008 - 08:27 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:54 PM

Well for now, it's really windy outside, and in the picture there's a window right behind the exhaust of my computer. So it's actually cold and should be fine. I've spliced my old Xbox v1 controller into a USB computer controller kinda' well. They are 80mm fans right. I'll probably see if I can grab some from my school as they have graveyards of old useless computers rather then spend like 20$ on Tigerdirect on a pair of fans ( Canada, don't know any good online Canadian retailers )

I don't think it could be damaged that much, it's working fine right now and I don't plan to ever have more then 1 video card in my computer so it'll never be under alot of load. It's jsut that one of the fans was put in with 2 pin..forget the name, the little power pins you ussaly use for Hardrives nowadays. The other ones directly connected.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:59 PM

can you mount a bigger case fan below the power supply?

My 120 is amazing
Chewy

#9 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

Uhhmm...where!? look at the picture, where would I put another 120mm fan?

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:22 PM

looks like a microatx case and board? not a very good match for a hot video card?

make a good oven tho, I like my muffins moist and chewy
Chewy

#11 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:37 PM

Video card stays actually cool, it's 39C right now. That's not bad for a Ati X1950 Pro. I'll be sure to order you soem muffins next time!

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:39 PM

how hot is the case northbridge temp getting with case closed and window closed?
Chewy

#13 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:05 PM

The south and north bridge get incredibly warm, I would say closing on 70C since Its the only computer component I can't hold my finger on for long at all. I was thinking of buying a little 13$ zantec coller off TigerDirect while loking for 80mm fans.

Could you point out some 80mm fans that would work, as the one thats not soldered on is a 2pin one that's usualy found on video cards for the fans. And all the ones I looked on Tigerdirect said 4pin molex, and I can't use the power supplies internal fan slots.

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:15 PM

if you are going to cobble then just cut the molex off and splice the red and black wires

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...25S1M4+Case+Fan

necessity is the mother of invention
Chewy

#15 fred333

fred333

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:33 AM

I love that saying,"necessity is the mother of invention". It is so true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users