Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Bsod's

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 purple frog

purple frog

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:23 PM

I recently changed antivirus programs from my school supplied Symantec Antivirus, to Kaspersly Antivirus and this is when my problems began... I received the first of four BSODs with the reason of "Bad Pool Caller" i realize this is usually a driver issue or an issue caused by a buggy program, so i figured my copy of kasperksy was bad somehow, and i uninstalled and switched to the free version of Avast! and had it run a boot up scan. It found a virus called "CTX" so i put it in the quarantine (called the chest for some reason in this program.) I have not had a blue screen since i performed the boot scan, and here is the stop error code that same up with it:

0x000000c2 (0x00000007, 0x00000cd4, 0x00005728, 0x86df1bc0)

it gave an event id of "1001" as well. what could my problem be? Oh, last thing, i ran the panda active scan earlier and it did not find any virii, only some spy ware that i used spybot s&d to remove.

What should I do? would a hjt log be appropriate in helping to diagnose this issue?

on edit: sorry im a bit frazzled about this whole thing, I have windows XP on a intel 2.8Ghz CPU; 1GB of RAM, and OS is on a 40 GB Hdd. no external videos cards or audio cards are used. (i have a dell dimension 3000)

Edited by purple frog, 01 April 2008 - 12:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:02 PM

I believe this is either a memory issue or a clash between to AV's, but a lost certain it is not malware. Have you been able scan with either? When did you last scan and was it clean? I've a recommendation or two. I am also moving this topic to the AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods for now.

After running the this tool Download and run the Norton Removal Tool and un/reinstalling the Kaspersky see if it is working now and the BSOD has stopped.

If not start a new topic in the internal hardware section. I feel it may be a memory issue. You can also read this on the error. Bad Pool Caller
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:36 AM

Well, one of my thoughts was the hardware issue, but I ran the Memtest 86 thing last night all night (started it just before i went to bed, and ended it once i got up in the morning) and it had no errors at all reported from any of the tests. something new though is that it stayed on all day today while i was at class/work, but when i got home tonight and tried opening firefox, i got another blue screen, but not the bad pool caller instead i got:

0x1000000a (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x804dc11d).

I ran the debugger on the crash dump and got this:

BugCheck 1000000A, {0, 2, 1, 804dc11d}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for aswMon2.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for aswMon2.SYS

Probably caused by : aswMon2.SYS ( aswMon2+6a1e )

Followup: MachineOwner

I believe that is for my antivirus, but i have never seen something needing to have the 2 after it, implying to me that this would be a second monitor for my antivirus i am currently using (which is Avast! free as of now)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:49 PM

aswmon2.sys information. There are numerous reports at the avast forums but most of them are old.

It found a virus called "CTX" so i put it in the quarantine

Have you ever performed an online scan with Panda ActiveScan?

pskavs.dll and pskahk.dll are a legitimate files installed by Panda ActiveScan but there are some anti-virus vendors that flag them as malicious - i.e. Win32:CTX.

Viruses have been detected in some of the 'Panda Antivirus' files on my computer...Why is this?...When an antiviral program scans a file for viruses, it compares all the signatures (of all viruses) in the database with the signatures in that file. If the signatures match (they are the same), the file is marked as infected. For an antivirus program, it is important to hide this database of signatures somehow - e.g. by encrypting it. Panda Antivirus does not encrypt its virus database - the signatures inside are clearly "visible" to other antiviral programs, so they detect this file as infected (but there is actually no virus inside - only the signatures are the same).

avast detects ActiveScan as virus
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

yes, I did perform an active scan before running avast! avast just recently detected a rootkit in the pgfilter.sys file for peerguaridan 2 Im not sure if that is real or not either, but something fishy is going on with my computer.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:40 PM

Some rootkits can trigger BSODs, shutdowns and error messages so download and scan with AVG Anti-Rootkit or Sophos Anti-rootkit.

#7 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:47 PM

well i ran the sophos anti rootkit and nothing was found, but after about 4 more blue screens, I got into safe mode long enough to get rid of Avast! and my Peer Guardian, so far i havent had any issues (i have been on for 1.5 hours so far) but now I am in need of a trust worthy antivirus bc kaspersky and Avast seem to give my computer fits.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:00 AM

Free:
Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus (also provides some rootkit detection and removal))

Paid for:
NOD32 Anti-Virus Personal

#9 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:29 AM

thanks, and so far no more BSODs since uninstalling PG and avast! I think im going to reinstall peerguardian though because i really liked it blocking the badies; I am currently using teh free trial for bitdefender and so far i really like it. I havent noticed any large footprint that it leaves like some other antiviruses i have used (except for when it was doing the deep scan obviously) Thank you for your help, feel free to close this topic. :thumbsup:

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:08 PM

Your welcome.

To protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection, be sure to read:
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
"Best Practices - Internet Safety for 2008".
"Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users