Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall Will Not Enable

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Custom_Dreams

Custom_Dreams

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:00 PM

Uninstalled Mcafee suite when expired, used add/remove programs and MCPR.exe. I go to control panel > windows firewall > green shield with check mark is not highlighted and will not allow me to check. At the top of the page It says: For your security some settings are controlled by Group Policy. also performed the following steps:

1. Open My Computer, double-click on Drive C
2. Double-click on Program Files
3. Look for any McAfee product folders that remain. Right-click on them and choose Delete
4. Close My Computer and other folders

I am using Windows XP home edition SP2
I currently have PC Tools Spyware Doctor with Anti-virus installed, as far as I can tell there is no firewall included.

I don't know where to go with this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:12 AM

Are you on an administrator account?

Also, a wise alternate would be to completely forget about Windows Firewall and go with something better like COMODO Firewall PRO or ZoneAlarm. Windows Firewall only blocks incoming connections but not outgoing which can make it useless aa that is an easy way for your hardware settings/ PC usage and many important things to be transfered by malware.

Regards,
David.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users