Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Runtime Error With Intel Media Server

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fzyp0t

fzyp0t

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:43 PM

To anyone who can assist:

I have a HP media center with MS XP SP2. Each time I login, I get the following message that will always come back after clicking "OK":

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: ...elDH\Intel Media Server\Media Server\bin\mediaserver.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the applications's support team for more information.

I have done the following:

- Delete any and all new programs recently installed
- Purchased and ran RegCure
- Ran Norton
- Research Intel.com for help
- Searched the Web for hours

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:14 AM

I have also been getting this message not when I sign in but when I run a scan with Superantispyware instead. I posted about it in the Antivirus, Firewall Forum this morning prior to seeing this post. I am using Comodo Forewall Pro v3 latest update and although not sure for certain I believe it is something to do with Comodo.

Out of interest what Firewall are you using?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#3 fzyp0t

fzyp0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:43 AM

I'm not very computer savy, so I'm not exactly sure which firewall is being used. There are two I'm aware of. One is the Window's Firewall found on the Control Panel. The other is the internet firewall through Norton. Although, yesterday I completely uninstalled Norton to see if it would make a difference. It did not!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:40 AM

Info on mediaserver.exe, http://www.file.net/process/mediaserver.exe.html

Have you checked Event Viewer for information on errors that might be pertinent?

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 April 2008 - 10:41 AM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

You should only use onr firewall at a time. Depending on how you
uninstalled Norton, it could possibly still be affecting your computer.
You need to use the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of it completely. Since you remove Norton, did you download another anti-virus program? If the answer is no, there are some freeware recommendations Here
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 fzyp0t

fzyp0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:11 PM

Mark,

Thanks for the feedback. I ran the Norton uninstall tool per your attached link and rebooted. The error is still present. I also went to the free anti-virus site and downloaded Avira AntiVir PersonnalEdition Classic. I am running a scan now, but nothing has been found yet.

Also, to make sure I am using only one firewall, I should use the Windows Firewall tool in the Control Panel now that Norton is gone and it appears Avira only contain Anti-Virus, not firewall protection, correct?

Finally, I also did what a previous viewer recommended and looked at the event recorder. There were 3 different events recorded everytime I clear the error, after which it re-occurred. The details are below. Any continued help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Tony

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7031
Date: 4/1/2008
Time: 9:04:02 PM
User: N/A
Computer: FAMILYCOMPUTER
Description:
The Intel® Viiv™ Media Server service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 3 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 5000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event ID: 26
Time: 9:04:07 PM
Description:
Application popup: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library : Runtime Error!

Program: ...elDH\Intel Media Server\Media Server\bin\mediaserver.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7036
Time: 9:04:07 PM
Description:
The Intel® Viiv™ Media Server service entered the running state.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:16 AM

The 3 errors are:
1) The mediaserver service shut down unexpectedly and it'll keep on trying to restart
2) The mediaserver program caused a runtime error, and immediately after it...
3) The mediaserver service successfully started

I wonder if this is a case of the program trying to start before all it's dependent services have started. If mediaserver.exe was truly broken, it would continue to generate errors. But, after some time elapses, the program seems to launch normally.

Try going to Start...Run...and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Scroll down and locate the mediaserver or ViiV service there, right click on it and select Properties, then select the Dependencies tab. Let us know what's displayed there and we can work on a fix. Do this after the 3rd error has occurred - otherwise you probably won't get any useful information.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 fzyp0t

fzyp0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

John,

Thank you for your support. I have attached a picture of the Services window per your request. And, just to be clear, I also put of copy of the pop-up window that occurs from the Media Server error. When you click "OK", the window disappears only temporarily and then comes back after a few seconds. So, I can't get rid of it. Each time I click "OK" it generates the three error messages in the event viewer that you previously read.

Anyways here's a summary of the Service window dependencies (in case the picture does come through):

Intel® Software Services Manager
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - "entity" within above "folder"
Windows Management Instrumentation - "folder with above Intel .... "folder"
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - "entity" with above Windows .... "folder"

SSDP Discovery Service
HTTP - entity with above "folder"

Windows Management Instrumentation
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - "entity" within above "folder"

Please let me know what the next step are.

Thanks,
Tony

Attached Files

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:05 AM

First, I must say that I'm not a great fan of the Intel ViiV technology - it has caused me too many problems, so I just don't use/install it.

I suspect that The HTTP entry in the SSDP Discovery Service is the issue here (it's just a guess). What' I think is happening is that your network connection isn't fully initialized when the ViiV stuff first tries to connect to the web - so it errors out. When it retries later the network connect has finished initializing, so it's able to connect without an error then.

My best guess is that you'd have to uninstall the ViiV stuff. If you don't use it, then just leave it uninstalled. But if you do use it, then you can try reinstalling it with a fresh copy from the HP website. Go to this page (http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html?pageDisplay=drivers ) and enter your model number to view the software/drivers available for download.

Edited by usasma, 03 April 2008 - 08:06 AM.
removed unnecessary qualifications :0)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 frksamor

frksamor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:39 PM

Has anyone come up with a reasonable resolution to this probhlem?
I have been all over the internet and seen every conceivable "Idea" as to what it is but none has had a real and tangible resolution to it.
I actually ran a roll-back of the Windows Media Player and that allowed a "Temporary" respite from the error but after three days, it returned.
I am looking for icecubes in Hell, I realize but I am hoping someone brought a cooler!
Thanks!

#11 rsreign

rsreign

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:17 AM

Try traveling to Start...Run...and blazon in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and columnist Enter. Scroll down and locate the mediaserver or ViiV account there, appropriate bang on it and baddest Properties, again baddest the Dependencies tab. Let us apperceive what's displayed there and we can plan on a fix. Do this afterwards the 3rd absurdity has occurred - contrarily you apparently will not get any advantageous information.

Edited by rsreign, 01 July 2009 - 10:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users