Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can Find The Recorder But No Sound...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

First, I'm using Windows Vista. I would like to record something live. I found the "sound recorder" and it looks like it's recording when I click "record". It saves it to "documents", opens Media Player but there's no sound. I'm not using the speakers that came with my computer. I have a little Altec Lansing system hooked into it. It has 2 small speakers and a sub woofer. I'm wanting to record some stuff of me playing my bass guitar and play it back to listen(to how bad I am). Is the speaker system not allowing the mic to work? Any help please? Thanks.
By the way, if I hook up the webcam it will record audio and video.
I'm wanting to change the wmv to mp3 if I can get this to work. Thanks again.

Edited by socom 004, 31 March 2008 - 09:10 PM.

HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:02 PM

I'm wanting to record some stuff of me playing my bass guitar and play it back to listen

I use Audacity to record my guitar tracks. It's free, and one of the best audio editors out there IMO. You'll need the lame mp3 encoder to convert to mp3.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

Concerning your "no sound" problem.
Do you have the "line in" checked? I'm not familiar with Vista, but if it were XP, the first place I would look is "Sounds and Audio Devices" in the control panel.
In XP it would be Control Panel > Sounds & Audio Devices > click the "Audio" tab >
Sound Recording > click the "Volume" button, this brings up the Recording Control
(In XP) tic the check box under "Line In"

Try this link for Vista.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...6f42d21033.mspx

#3 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:47 AM

I'm wanting to record some stuff of me playing my bass guitar and play it back to listen

I use Audacity to record my guitar tracks. It's free, and one of the best audio editors out there IMO. You'll need the lame mp3 encoder to convert to mp3.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

Concerning your "no sound" problem.
Do you have the "line in" checked? I'm not familiar with Vista, but if it were XP, the first place I would look is "Sounds and Audio Devices" in the control panel.
In XP it would be Control Panel > Sounds & Audio Devices > click the "Audio" tab >
Sound Recording > click the "Volume" button, this brings up the Recording Control
(In XP) tic the check box under "Line In"

Try this link for Vista.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...6f42d21033.mspx

Thanks. When I get home from work I'll work on it.
BTW, do you know if I need a mic or is one usually built into the computer?

Edited by socom 004, 01 April 2008 - 05:59 AM.

Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D

#4 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:34 PM

You'll probably need a mic. Some people use a karaoke mic. with success. I use my laptops built in mic so I can get the sound I want from my effects pedals, and amp. You can use either the "Line in" which is stereo, or the "Mic" which is mono, on your PC's input ports. "Mic" might be better for recording your bass. If you're recording music from, say, a tape deck, you should use the "Line in" (Stereo). just make sure the correct box is checked in "Contrl Panel>sounds and audio devices>recording control". (Or whatever it's called in Vista)

I hope it works for ya.

#5 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:24 PM

You'll probably need a mic. Some people use a karaoke mic. with success. I use my laptops built in mic so I can get the sound I want from my effects pedals, and amp. You can use either the "Line in" which is stereo, or the "Mic" which is mono, on your PC's input ports. "Mic" might be better for recording your bass. If you're recording music from, say, a tape deck, you should use the "Line in" (Stereo). just make sure the correct box is checked in "Contrl Panel>sounds and audio devices>recording control". (Or whatever it's called in Vista)

I hope it works for ya.

Yep, I need to get a mic. I jacked in my headphones and they have a mic on them. I just hooked up the "pink" lead for mic or voice only and it picked up and also played back. The mic on the headset is pretty bad though. I'm going to have to get a better mic. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users