Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Torrent Help

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:32 PM

I'm having trouble wit torrents it's downloading 0b/s. I just downloaded Azureus Vuze and downloaded a torrent. Now it's downloading very slowly :flowers: . I don't know anything about torrents and torrent programs or how to use them. Please help. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ///

///
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

Now, I have an incomplete folder full of unknown files... Can someone help? The downloads still say 3gb to go after lots of hours even though I have high speed internet. I can't edit either. Please help!

Also my download speed is 1.5 mb/s but this is going a few bytes per sec.?

Edited by ///, 02 April 2008 - 11:23 PM.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:57 PM

Poor download speeds can be caused by a number of things including your ISP, your firewall not being correctly configured for torenting, and the torrent in question not having many peers to download from.

If you're ISP is Comcast, then it's very likely that they're to blame as they run heavy interference on torrent connections.

If you have a firewall in place (and you should) then make sure that it's not blocking the ports that Azureus is using. (it's been a while since I've used Azureus but there should be a tool to check the firewall under one of the menus) Both hardware and software firewalls need to be configured to allow BT connections (and forward them if you're using NAT) Take a look at this guide for info on setting up your firewall.

And finally, you're never going to get good speed if only a few other people have the torrent for you to download. Always look for torrents that have a decent seed to leech ratio (the more seeds the better).

The unknown files may be simply a split up RAR archive. You'll find such archives common among bit torrent downloads. You can get WinRAR to access these files (you'll still get an error if any of the files are incomplete or damaged, though)

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 03 April 2008 - 12:00 AM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:50 AM

here's 2 links to help with P2P

http://portforward.com/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 ///

///
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:55 AM

Thanks, I Finally downloaded it! Now I have a bunch of strange files in a folder... How do I turn the files into a program?

I didn't get any viruses either :thumbsup:
WinRAR could only detect some of the files :flowers:

Edited by ///, 03 April 2008 - 02:02 AM.

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:38 AM

Torrents are not really reliable in my opinion as you download one and then there are files and folders which can be hard to work out what to do with. Also, torrents may halt to a complete stop while downloading. This is caused by not sharing and being a "freeloader" (Always downloading and never sharing.)

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:42 AM

Thanks, I Finally downloaded it! Now I have a bunch of strange files in a folder... How do I turn the files into a program?

I didn't get any viruses either :thumbsup:
WinRAR could only detect some of the files :flowers:

Not unusual for WinRAR. The ones that WinRAR recognized, did they work? The others, what file extension do they have?

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:46 AM

Torrents are not really reliable in my opinion as you download one and then there are files and folders which can be hard to work out what to do with. Also, torrents may halt to a complete stop while downloading. This is caused by not sharing and being a "freeloader" (Always downloading and never sharing.)

I'd have to disagree with you on that account. I find the bittorrent protocol to be extremely reliable, provided one isn't downloading nefarious things from nefarious people. The anti-leeching controls used by many trackers ensures that everyone contributes a little and that rarer files don't just disappear into the void.

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:15 PM

one hopes you are being extremely cautious with what you seek to download via any P2P program

I notice you have had computer problems with

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry776800

you can never be too careful where any file sharing is concerned and all it takes is just ONE wrong foot to put you right in the soup of infections :thumbsup:

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138324/hopeless-limewire-addict/

I know one guy who learned an expensive lesson using P2P pirated software
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:45 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138324/hopeless-limewire-addict/

I know one guy who learned an expensive lesson using P2P pirated software

I too know another family whose computer was so screwed up from a bad P2P infection it had to be wiped and have Windows reinstalled

I was asked to look at it,('why am I getting all these ads' ?) and when I saw Limewire had been installed on it ( 'what is Limewire?' the dad asked )I knew we were is deep trouble

it was too deeply infected to clean

like airport security, they have to be succesful at detection all the time ;a terrorist only needs one attempt to succeed ; so does an infection, all IT needs is one foolhardy ' I wont get infected' attitude and...voila, you ARE infected :thumbsup:

#12 ///

///
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:32 PM

No, I didn't get infected. I could get the ones it recognized. but where does the files go after it finished extracting I had to re-extract it. :flowers: there's a lot of folders totaling several gb. So what do I do? Thanks :thumbsup:
Also I got the locked computer problem before because of: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/137822/is-there-a-program-that-deletes-files-that-were-already-deleted-and-is-faster-than-restoration/

I found out that they get extracted to temp. Not easy to find with lots of other folders and I use ccleaner and other things that empties the temp.

Edited by ///, 03 April 2008 - 08:40 PM.

#13 ///

///
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:10 PM

Yesssss!!!!! :flowers: I did it!!!! Thanks for all your help. WAIT to Amazing Andrew: What flag is that it scares me a bit if it is... Thanks anyways :thumbsup:

As I said I didn't get malware either: I already had it. Torrents can be useful if it downloads faster. I always check the comments to see if it has something wrong with it. Thanks for all your help again.

Don't stay up until 2:00 on your computer like I did It saves electric bills and energy and using the computer especially at night will kill and damage brain cells. Even when you don't need education anymore it'll still be cool to be smart and old at the same time.

Edited by ///, 04 April 2008 - 02:49 PM.

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

WAIT to Amazing Andrew: What flag is that it scares me a bit if it is... Thanks anyways :thumbsup:

Huh? Flag? What flag? :flowers:

#15 ///

///
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:48 PM

The flag on the bottom: The picture next to your computer details that changes every time. The picture became a rainbow flag with two male symbols. Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users