Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Windows Xp Problem....help!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dualshock71

dualshock71

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:30 PM

One day, a friend came over and needed a computer. My room was a mess, so I picked it up and carried it downstairs. It worked fine for about three hours. Then I took it back upstairs and hooked it all up, probably less carefully than I should. It worked fine, until I moved my foot and accidentally kicked the power cord out of the back of the tower. I pluged it back in, and turned it on. It showed me the Windows loading screen, then told me that "\Windows\System32\config\system" was missing and that I should recover it. I put in the Windows XP disk and loaded it up. It gave me three options: reinstall Windows, repair, or exit. If I choose to reinstall, I get a message. It says something about a bad_pool_caller and gives me the following numbers:

"0x000000c2 (0x00000043, 0xc3A40000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

I'm an ameture at this, but I looked up that long line of code and came up with no answers. Everywhere I go for the first problem (missing WINDOWS file) tells me to use the Repair option. I try that, and I get this DOS-like prompt. It tells me to select the thing needing repair, and only gives me my C drive. I select it, and get the bad_pool_caller messege.

My mom is getting sick and tired to me taking up her computer time, and we're walking on short bread here. Any chance that I can repair this without getting expensive parts and consultants involved?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:44 PM

have you tried running a full repair
not the recovery console or reinstall windows
you wont lose anything
but you will need to update windows

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:51 PM

Check your devices in Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for any "! " or "X" symbols.

Edit: I now see you can't boot, so my advice isn't much use, sorry.

You could try a repair install.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

Edited by Budapest, 31 March 2008 - 07:55 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 dualshock71

dualshock71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:54 PM

have you tried running a full repair
not the recovery console or reinstall windows
you wont lose anything
but you will need to update windows

Okay, forgive me here. I've had the machine for years, but I'm still mostly a techno-illiterate. How do I do that?

#5 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

that link will guide you to a successful repair

#6 dualshock71

dualshock71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

Okay, I read the link, but I'm still confused. I can probably use it if I have a day or two, but is there any simpler guide? Sorry if I'm just being annoying here.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

There's another guide here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 dualshock71

dualshock71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:36 PM

Okay....now I feel dumb. I never tried that. Thank you very much, both mme and Budapest. I think you may have just helped me fix an error. Gracias, mis amigos o amigas.

#9 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:42 PM

once you begin the repair process its fairly simple
it will seem like an install but its not
GODD LUCK

#10 dualshock71

dualshock71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:05 PM

Okay, dualshock opened his big fat mouth too soon. I guess I forgot to specify; doing ANYTHING in the installation/repair menu leads me to the bad_pool_caller message. Any way to fix that one?

#11 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:29 PM

heres what this guy did and worked for him

http://kindel.com/blogs/charlie/archive/2004/05/26/282.aspx

#12 dualshock71

dualshock71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:27 PM

Okay, I'm at it again. The method you gave me, mme; is ripping those DIMM things out of my computer going to hurt my machine. And, on a related topic, any idea how much new ones cost?

#13 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

just press on clips on each side
they pop out
remember which way they go
take your time and you will be ok
follow the link and you wont harm
your computer
do this with the power turned off
and computer not plugged into power source

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:59 AM

The missing \Windows\System32\config\system thing is a failure of NTLDR to load the System hive from the registry during startup. There's many different things that could cause this, but the simplest thing to try is typing "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) from the Recovery Console. Also, I'd suggest trying a free, bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive.

The STOP 0xC2 (shorthand for the long numbers that you quoted) error that you received is usually either a hardware problem or a problem with the driver that operates the hardware. The actual problem is in the way that the driver accesses your memory - so it's conceivable that this could also be a physical problem with your memory. You can test your memory with this free program: http://www.memtest86.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users