Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Radeon A9200se Driver Help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KoR

KoR

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:03 PM

Okay, so my brother's letting me use his video card. I found the driver using google, and all of the driver sites just linked back to the AMD site. Now, I only have the video card, so I only downloaded the display driver. But here's the thing. When I opened the .exe installer, it begins normally. Then it says "ATI Display Driver Setup is preparing the InstallShield® Wizard, which will guide you through the rest of the setup process. Please wait." InstallShield shows up for a second or two on my taskbar, but then it closes. I can't seem to find out what the problem is, I've tried it multiple times with the same results. I tried redownloading the installer, too. I'd ask my brother, but he's not home yet. Does anyone know anything I'm forgetting to check?

Also, windows doesn't already have the driver in the normal list. I'm running 2000. I've tried starting it with my monitor connected to the videocard, but it just stayed black, as the driver wasn't there. I have no clue how to make it work, please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:03 AM

I think you have the wrong drivers :thumbsup:.

ATI makes 9200SE cards, but...it seems that Asustek has a card using A9200SE as the model. If you have ATI drivers from the AMD site, they might work, but chances are the Asustek drivers will work.

Take a look: http://www.soft32.com/download_173404.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=A...A9200SE+drivers

Louis

#3 KoR

KoR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:36 PM

I think you have the wrong drivers :thumbsup:.

ATI makes 9200SE cards, but...it seems that Asustek has a card using A9200SE as the model. If you have ATI drivers from the AMD site, they might work, but chances are the Asustek drivers will work.

Take a look: http://www.soft32.com/download_173404.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=A...A9200SE+drivers

Louis

The only problem with that is that the actual download doesn't work (I had tried it before, too) and the mirror takes me back to the AMD page...Where I got the driver from anyway.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,847 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

Well...I don't know what to tell you, other than my visit to the Asustek website convinced me that they show little interest in support for products which are not current.

I have 2 ATI cards and I can tell you that the described installer behavior is not typical.

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/2k/radeonx-2k.html is the link for 9200 drivers (SE = special edition). Which option did you select?

Louis

#5 KoR

KoR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:05 AM

Well...I don't know what to tell you, other than my visit to the Asustek website convinced me that they show little interest in support for products which are not current.

I have 2 ATI cards and I can tell you that the described installer behavior is not typical.

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/2k/radeonx-2k.html is the link for 9200 drivers (SE = special edition). Which option did you select?

Louis

I've tried both. The software suite produced separate results than the ones I've listed, as that was for the display driver only. The suite opens the installshield, and then says "Setup was unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration. Please make sure you have the required hardware or software." even with the card.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:13 AM

Is your W2K fully updated sp4 with even optional updates like dx8.1?

Stay away from the catalyst drivers and too high a net version

Until you have the base OS right, even the right agp driver? there's no point in fixing the video driver

These steps are critical, if you miss one, you might as well start all over again

When there's an issue with video drivers not updating or upgrading then you have to go thru an intricate uninstall/clean
procedure
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,847 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:21 AM

DaChew's comments reminded me...once something seems to go wrong with an install of ATI drivers, I prefer to remove everything connected with "ATI" from my files...and then try anew.

Sooo...I suggest going into Add/Remove Programs...uninstalling anything that has ATI on it (if the uninstall utility is there, please use it), then reboot and try to install the drivers that specificly relate to the Asustek card, not the ATI drivers which produced a "we don't see an ATI card" response :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 KoR

KoR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:42 PM

Is your W2K fully updated sp4 with even optional updates like dx8.1?

Stay away from the catalyst drivers and too high a net version

Until you have the base OS right, even the right agp driver? there's no point in fixing the video driver

These steps are critical, if you miss one, you might as well start all over again

When there's an issue with video drivers not updating or upgrading then you have to go thru an intricate uninstall/clean
procedure

I dunno about optional updates, I know I have SP4 though. I'll check it out.

DaChew's comments reminded me...once something seems to go wrong with an install of ATI drivers, I prefer to remove everything connected with "ATI" from my files...and then try anew.

Sooo...I suggest going into Add/Remove Programs...uninstalling anything that has ATI on it (if the uninstall utility is there, please use it), then reboot and try to install the drivers that specificly relate to the Asustek card, not the ATI drivers which produced a "we don't see an ATI card" response :thumbsup:.

Louis

Thanks, I'll try this first.

#9 KoR

KoR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:11 PM

Louis

this worked. after I restarted, the card was working but had bad coloration and low resolution. but I installed the single driver and it worked. :D thanks a lot.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,847 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:37 PM

Glad you solved it :thumbsup:.

I knew all that aggravation I had with ATI drivers might prove useful someday...

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users