Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted Strange Ms Config Entries

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 empty_pockets

empty_pockets

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:55 PM

I've noticed some strange entries in my MS Config list that haven't been there before and I don't know where they came from, nor how to get them to stop coming back.

Startup Item Command Location
LuResult \LuResult.txt Common Startup
MP3Lib \MP3Lib.zor Common Startup
ntuser \ntuser.bak Common Startup
ntuser \ntuser.dat Common Startup
ntuser.dat \ntuser.dat.LOG Common Startup
ntuser \ntuser.ini Common Startup
ntuser.tmp \ntuser.tmp.LOG Common Startup

Could someone enlighten me as to where these entries are coming from, how do I get them to stop regenerating, etc.?

I've updated definitions and did full scans with AVG Free, SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition, Adaware 2007, A Squared Free, and Spybot S&D, and none of those have given me any insight as to what's causing this. I haven't added any new software, hardware, etc., but my son was using my pc the other day and I just noticed these entries today.

I have also made sure that all MS updates are installed. I'd sure appreciate any and all helpful input as how to get rid of this annoyance.

HP Pavillion a1412n
Win XP SP2
820 Intel Viiv Pentium D
512MB RAM
200GB HD
NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE
DVD+/-RW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:21 PM

LuResult: Symantec Live Update file, OK if you have a Symantec product installed. If you have no Symantec products installed now, it may be a remnant from the past or something other than what it appears to be.

MP3Lib: Seems to be an MP3 library file for a player. OK if you have player installed requiring such. Maybe your son's doing?

All ntuser files are system files for XP, OK. As they say, they are created for system users (I have about 25 files on my system with ntuser as part of the name).

I would disable/remove the MP3Lib file from startup, while leaving the others mentioned alone.

I think I'd also disable/remove the Live Update entry, there's no reason that has to run at startup. I used to use Symantec products and LU can be manually triggered anytime or configured to update at anytime.

Louis

#3 empty_pockets

empty_pockets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for the reply hamluis. I've unchecked the entries I listed many times already, then rebooted, and they reappear in MS Config. No Symantec products installed and haven't had since the pc came with Norton when it was new. I've NEVER had ntuser entries in my MS Config until I saw them today. And I can't figure out why there is no command for ANY of these entries other than "Common Startup".

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:22 AM

MSConfig is a troubleshooting tool, it really should not be used to manage startup items.

A better tool would be a program like AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Should you decide to employ the above program, please read all instructions before proceeding.

I use the Logon tab to filter out startup items.

Louis

#5 empty_pockets

empty_pockets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:49 AM

Thanks Louis. I also have that program and used the Logon tab to snoop for anything suspicious, but nothing stands out.

#6 zxycba

zxycba

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:43 PM

I've noticed some strange entries in my MS Config list that haven't been there before and I don't know where they came from, nor how to get them to stop coming back.

Startup Item Command Location
LuResult \LuResult.txt Common Startup
MP3Lib \MP3Lib.zor Common Startup
ntuser \ntuser.bak Common Startup
ntuser \ntuser.dat Common Startup
ntuser.dat \ntuser.dat.LOG Common Startup
ntuser \ntuser.ini Common Startup
ntuser.tmp \ntuser.tmp.LOG Common Startup

Could someone enlighten me as to where these entries are coming from, how do I get them to stop regenerating, etc.?

I had the same problem and was able to solve it.

The problem is that the Registry has missing/invalid entries for "Common Startup". Changing/Creating the "Common Startup" entries as follows fixed it for me:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]
1. Create a new String Value named "Common Startup", if it doesn't exist.
2. Set "Common Startup" to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]
1. Remove "Common Startup", if it is not a REG_EXPAND_SZ, skip to 3 if it is REG_EXPAND_SZ
2. Create a new Expandable String Value (REG_EXPAND_SZ) named "Common Startup"
3. Set the value to "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

Now if you re-run msconfig, it will show the Common Startup items located in this folder.

I have also attached a reg file that will make the changes for you, open it in notepad so that you understand what it is changing.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users