Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adata Pd17 Usb Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brunswick

Brunswick

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

I am a female senior citizen (technologically challenged) trying to transfer files from Windows 98 to new computer with Windows Vista. But first can't get the files onto my flash drive disk. Have followed the directions on the webpage to a T but after drive has been installed and PD17 is plugged into the USB port nothing happens. There is no icon to click on the start the download. Can someone please help me?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:25 PM

Go to Start> right click on Computer, in the menu that opens click on explore and see if the removable memory shows up in there. If it does you can open it there and then simply click and drag your files to you C: drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:48 PM

I think dc3 is assuming that you already have the files on the drive and you're try to transfer them to your hard drive. Is that the case or is the Win 98 machine not seeing the drive so you can load it with the files? Maybe I'm misunderstanding

Edited by garmanma, 31 March 2008 - 01:49 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Brunswick

Brunswick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:58 PM

Sorry I wasn't clearer...I have downloaded the driver from ADATA's webpage ... seems to install as manual suggests but when the screen says to connect the Flash Drive to the USB port...nothing happens...

According to the manual there should be an icon for me to click on in order to download the files from the old computer (windows 98)

Not sure what to do next...

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:33 AM

Do you know if you have Windows 98 1st edition or the 98SE edition?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Artulyn

Artulyn

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:51 PM

Don't feel bad, I'm computer literate, have been since the days of the Commodore Vic20 and I purchased an identical flash drive unit thinking it would work with my Win98 computer. The packaging and website all insist that it works but after installing the software. Via a zip drive, I plug in the PD17 and get the wonderful Unknown Device instead of an USB disk drive Icon.

Even worse my WinXP system doesn't recognize it either and every driver site refers me back to the Microsoft Update site which I need an ISP to access. I don't have one anymore, since I got tired of my nephews infecting my computer every time they came by for a visit.

Anyway, I think the problem we both have is that we haven't updated our copies of Win98 and WinXP to the latest and greatest updates available. Your case is an easy fix, enable the windows update feature and let it update to its little electronic heart's content and then youl might have to reinstall the Adata drivers to get it recognized. If plugging it in after all of the updates doesn't do the trick.

I'm posting this from a community college PC that lets me download files from the internet. In case you're wondering. ;)

#7 Artulyn

Artulyn

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:04 PM

I just checked the Adata website, they have a new driver up dated 08-04-14, you might want to try it. I sent them a slightly irate email on the 11th about their driver not working and they never responded. Nice of them to let me know they had updated the driver.

#8 jackpd17

jackpd17

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

I just checked the Adata website, they have a new driver up dated 08-04-14, you might want to try it. I sent them a slightly irate email on the 11th about their driver not working and they never responded. Nice of them to let me know they had updated the driver.

I have not tryed the 08-04-14 driver

Adata tech support is bad. I had the same problem of their older driver not working with W98SE

Try this, it worked for me if the driver metioned above does not work.

Plug the Adata USB drive into your W98 computer.

You should see a window and a list of choices Choose install from a list

choose USB Hub

choose USB 2

you will get a message driver is gernic and may not work.

click OK

The above information is from my Memory of what I did. Steps above my not be the exatct words, but you should get the idea.

Once I did this my Adata PD 17 works great between W98 & W XP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users