Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a good proxy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ::SHArP::

::SHArP::

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 22 July 2004 - 01:19 AM

could someone please tell me the name of a good proxy and where i can get it? i would like to use free ones if they are ok, but if i have to i will pay, so the name of any good proxies is good. thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:22 AM

Only one i know of, when not using illegal proxy servers, is :

http://www.anonymizer.com/index.cgi

But I can not unfortunately vouch for them. Maybe someone else has more info.

#3 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2004 - 11:22 AM

I would like to know more about PROXY servers in general. Especially the settings in MSIE tools--where I often check and uncheck whether I wish to use a PROXY server. Any info or links would be helpful--I thank you all!!
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2004 - 02:10 PM

Well a proxy server is a computer on the internet that you can set your internet explorer to send all requests for web pages through. That proxy server will then go out and get the information and forward it back to you. This way, the webserver you are visiting never sees your computer connecting to it, but rather the proxy server.

Just realized this would be a great tutorial. Expect one soon.

#5 ::SHArP::

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2004 - 10:18 PM

awesome, id definately go through that tute! thanks for your responses
Edit: Illegal ones? how could a proxy server be illegal? would it just be like a trojan on someone elses computer or a server w/out a license... whats an illegal one?

Edited by ::SHArP::, 22 July 2004 - 10:26 PM.

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2004 - 08:08 AM

Well true proxies are not illegal, but someone not very legitimate can setup a public proxy and filter everything you do through it. Bank accounts, PayPal, Ebay. :thumbsup: *Grinler shudders. Here's a list of public proxies:
http://www.atomintersoft.com/products/aliv...oxy/proxy-list/

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2004 - 03:15 PM

Well the problem is that most proxies you find on the internet are misconfigured so that people from outside on the internet can use them, instead of just people in the company or inside the office.

It is considered illegal to use these misconfigured proxies, as you have not been given permission to use their proxy server and their bandwidth.

#8 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2004 - 03:33 PM

Is it legal to surf through open proxies?
As far as we can tell, the answer is yes. The primary argument against open proxies is that their owners may not have intended for them to be used by the public. However, by running a service on a machine accessible to the public, without restricting access to that service, the machine's administrator is implicitly consenting for that service to be used by the public. A proxy server is just like a web server, an FTP server, or any other net service: if it's running and accepting connections, it's fair game. The Internet is a public network.

With regard to US law in particular, 18 USC 1030 (which covers computer-related fraud and theft) applies only when the user has knowingly accessed a computer without authorization or has knowingly exceeded his authorized access on that computer. Because an open HTTP proxy, by default, allows connections and use of the service by anyone in the world, the proxy's administrator has essentially "authorized" everyone to use the service. There's no intentional bypassing of security taking place. Just as you don't need Google's express written permission to connect to google.com, you don't need a proxy admin's express written permission to use his open proxy server.

source:stayinvisible.com

Here are some more lists:
*stayinvisible.com
*publicproxyservers.com

Web-based anonymous proxies:
*The Cloak
*proxify.com

If you use Firefox, there is
*Switch Proxy 0.9. You can keep a list of proxies and easily switch between them.

Edited by HuckerJ, 23 July 2004 - 03:34 PM.

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2004 - 04:44 PM

Hmmm... i think we can argue this one till we are blue in the face. What it comes down to is that a person who connects to an open proxy and knows that they are doing it without authorization, is doing wrong.

If you took the approach from your quotes you are essentially saying its all right to hack into a computer that has security holes that have remain unpatched. The fact that the adminstrator has not patched the computer, means its ok for people to gain access to his computer without permission.

Or that if you have a broken lock on your door, its ok for someone to just walk inside because the door should have a working lock.

As I said everyone has different opinions. The point of the matter is that open proxies, for the most part, are not intended to be used by you or me. If that does not bother, then who am i to stop ya :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users