Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dreamweaver Ftp Troubles

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wesley Thomas

Wesley Thomas

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:07 AM

The webmaster at our local library asked me to set up her FTP again after a recent computer crash. I did so, and, I also reorganized the file structure for her prior to downloading the site again. Things looked good immediately following my action, however, a problem arose shortly thereafter.

When she and I tried to connect to the remote site it would always do so anonymously. We saw a few folders (Windows, Linux, Speedtest) but none that applied to our webspace. The ISP told me about the anonymous thing, however, none of them were familiar enough with Dreamweaver to help me. Good thing we pay 'em the big bucks.

I did find out that if I deleted the site, and then created it again, that it'd let me connect and get the appropriate files. But, disconnecting and reconnecting produces the same problem.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:41 PM

none of them were familiar enough with Dreamweaver to help me. Good thing we pay 'em the big bucks

You shouldn't expect them to be. They are in the business of providing internet service, which has zero to do with development. They are two entirely different things. :thumbsup:

See if this link helps:
http://thunder.prohosting.com/~sampieri/fr...l#p_dreamweaver

#3 Wesley Thomas

Wesley Thomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

But, they should be familiar enough with FTP operations to be able to troubleshoot in my opinion. The FTP within Dreamweaver isn't that far from an average client.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:37 PM

Dreamweaver is a web-design application which happens to have some built in ftp capabilities. How it is implemented varies from application to application. You can debate it all you want, but there is no way possible that your ISP can possibly do software support, any more than Microsoft would support ISP issues. Your ISP is much more interested in keeping your connection going. :thumbsup: I am hoping the link i gave you though will give you the relevant information that you need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users