Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:44 AM

hello im back.. trying to up date drivers on win2kpro..i read tutorial.got driver to desktop. it is a zip file. got free trial version of WinZip. my version dont look like screenshot in tutorial. now im lost. all help appritiated thanks kenny :thumbsup: im editing to say updates not neccasary. device manager says "working proper"in 4 driver applications that a scan said i needed updates .but in D.M under system devices-26items total. 6 say no drivers installed for this device.is that normal??? thanks

Edited by keny111111, 31 March 2008 - 12:24 PM.

Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

1. What scan tells you you need to update drivers?

2. It can say "driver is working properly" and still be corrupt. If there's a yellow exclamation point by the device, that's a better indication that something is wrong.

3. I haven't used WinZip in a while, but if I remember correctly, when you open WinZip it asks you what interface to use, New or classic
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

garmanma-driver agent. no exclamation points.i reread tutorial and seen that about classic interface now but to late already got new interface. but with no exclamation points wont worry about them. its just an old laptop was tinkering with anyway. what about the 6 items with no drivers installed. any ideas?? i can list if need be. thanks again kenny
Have A Great Day

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

When you open WinZip there should be a set of tabs on the bottom. The one to the extreme left should let you change the view. I tend to take driver update or performance programs with a grain of salt. They are not always accurate. Case in point, if you had 6 devices without any drivers installed, you would have a little red box with an X in it by the offending devices in Device Manager. Did you expand all of the +'s to make sure? I feel the same way about BIOS updates
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies

Edited by garmanma, 31 March 2008 - 03:53 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:24 PM

in device manager>system devices hit the + sign 26 different applications open up 6 of them say no driver s are installed for this device. I.E direct memory access controller. ect is that normal?? thanks again kenny
Have A Great Day

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:59 PM

Is this a laptop or desktop? What's the make and model? What was the original OS? You've formated the hard drive, correct? Can you list all of the offending drivers? It sounds like you need the motherboard/system board drivers
Mark
Posted Image

#7 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:25 PM

E machine - eslate 400k laptop. original os= win 98 someone put win2000pro. offending drivers? DM says no drivers installed in the following devices - ALI 7101 power managment controller - direct memory access controller - programable interrupt controller - motherboard resourses - system speaker - system timer..formating the hard drive .no idea i didnt do it. (dont know how) computer is very slow & crashes quite abit!! thank you very much for any more help.
Have A Great Day

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:57 PM

Well, you're going to learn to love Google by the time you're finished. Gateway bought eMachines but this thing is so old, I can't find any system drivers for it...yet. You're going to have to identify each driver individually and locate the mfg. Let me double-check the way to do that and I'' get back to you

Edited by garmanma, 31 March 2008 - 07:58 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

Let's give this a try:

Right click on the device with the ? and select Properties, then click on the Details tab, then on Hardware ID in the drop-down box.You should see a hardware ID that looks like this: "PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_40090070&REV_01"

The 4 characters after the first _ are the Vendor ID and the 4 characters after the second _ are the Device ID. Go to this website http://www.pcidatabase.com/ and enter the Vendor ID and the Device ID and it will tell you what the device is. Then you can do an internet search for the drivers you need.
This might help maybe, maybe not Good Luck

Edited by garmanma, 31 March 2008 - 08:16 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#10 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:48 PM

thank you ill try it and post back.. later
Have A Great Day

#11 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:17 PM

Right click on the device with the ? and select Properties, there are 2 tabs 1 general (no drivers installed) 2nd tab driver ciick on it says "no drivers are required or have been loaded for this device" theres a driver details tab there but not an option. all six are same way. need drivers or not?? thanks kenny also in driver tab says driver provider microsoft. driver date 6-19-03 driver version 5.0.2195.5438 digital signer-microsoft windows 2000 publisher.
Have A Great Day

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:34 AM

Sometimes when you use the Belarc Advisor Not only will it tell you what needs updating, but will give you the website where to download them from
Mark
Posted Image

#13 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:00 PM

garmanma.thanks for the link downloaded to laptop said i need 83 updates !!! problem is it it crashes so often going to take a while so i thank you for your time and effort. you mentioned something about was hdd formatted correctly or not. is there any way to tell ?? thanks again.. kenny
Have A Great Day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users