Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Setting Up Protection For My Computer!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:26 AM

Hello all,

I need help! This is my dads computer and he never takes care of it. He never really even gets on the net. I just recently removed spy shreader from it. I know he has to be infected with all kinds of stuff. It runs slow and has no protection. Can any one please help me? Could you please recomend some good anti-spyware, anti-virus and a firewall and anything else that you would think would improve performance and get rid of whatever is on this thing. If at all possible I would like it to be free because its not even my computer. But it would be nice to here what the best thing is out there is to. Because I am getting a laptop in the next couple of weeks and would like to protect it to the best standards.

Thank you,

swaMprUnner
I would rather be a little overkill with my computer. Than to have my computer be killed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:40 AM

Fist of all, I would reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows. If he never had any protection and surfed the net, his computer has to be infected, real time! Running scans and clean ups from different programs will take a good while and might not do a proper job. Some malware might be hard to get rid of and your system may be corrupted.

Then, I would install Kaspersky antivirus (maybe with its firewall) or NOD32, a good firewall (Zone Alarm), SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster.
Please post back if we found the solution

#3 Guest_Pivopija_*

Guest_Pivopija_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:54 AM

Please read this topic -> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/132793/the-ultimate-security/ ,
you can find answer there.

Greetings...

Edited by Pivopija, 31 March 2008 - 11:54 AM.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

it might be helpful to know what IS on there at present antivirus programs wise and any other protection programs wise

which windows version is he running and how does the computer connect to the internet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users