Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Windows Easy Transfer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lburt

lburt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:14 AM

hello, new to forum, am trying to migrate from old Xp computor, to new vista computor. Am getting stuck at the user name page, getting an error when entering the existing user names. This allows me to go no further. Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

Are you using this link? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/transfer-your-data-with-windows-easy-transfer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 vol26

vol26

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:32 PM

I tried following the tutorial on Easy Transfer and it works until the step that says I should have a screen "Your computers are now connected." I don't get it - it appears "stuck."

#4 RicardoVerdi

RicardoVerdi

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

I have been trying to use windows easy transfer. Netowrk kept going wrong so I tried the USB option. I have one 8gb USB stick and a 1gb, I was using both. You have to delete the files yourself, although it doesn't tell you this. I had assumed it would ask you "Do you want to delete the files now...yes...no", but it didn't. You are supposed to close all other files, so I decided I would open win explorer on the new computer, and used that to delete the files on the flash stick after they had been copied. After doing disk no 21 or 22 all four flash drives on the old pc seemed to jam, it wouldn't recognise them. Neither easy transfer screen nor explorer would recognise them. They are ok now. But I couldn't even turn the computer off, it said "windows is shutting down" for ages, I had to unplug it. (tried ctrl-alt-del, etc.)
Also, while transferring data I had to wait for a while every time after the drive filled up, it said 100% full, but maybe took 5 or 10 minutes before the screen changed to invite me to choose the drive for the next flash stick. I waited overnight but the new Vista computer switched off and the information all seems lost. I then tried again with a network (LAN cables to a router) which seemed to start working ok this morning. I left the house at 7 am but when I got back at 6pm it had failed. I must find the settings to stop it from turning itself off, perhaps that's one of the problems. I had 106gb to transfer so I reckon with the USB sticks I was probably almost there. If they were full, alternating 8gb & 1gb, I probably did about 99gb. Sometimes the screen would show which files were being transferred, but often it didn't, it just showed a percentage.
When I tried using the network I don't know how far I got, but my son tells me it was still working after 2 hours at 9am when he left the house.

I shall try again... maybe tonight

#5 RicardoVerdi

RicardoVerdi

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

I just read the previous entry giving the link to the tutorial. perhaps 105gb is too much. I may try & select certain folders, see if that succeeds & then try others... I'll keep you posted

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the &quot;Logic Free Zone&quot;, in Md, USA

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

Please do keep us updated. I've not seen such a problem before. 105 gigs should not be too much.

There must be another problem involved here?
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users