Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bloodhound.packed.jmp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adromeda

adromeda

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:05 AM

I have this virus bloodhound.Packed.jmp which is troubling me. The thing is I got it from another pc when I put it's hard disk on my pc.I believe I got it when I tried to open hidden folders. I will run comboFix and I will send the report.I hope someone can help me... :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:39 AM

ComboFix logs should not to be posted outside the HijackThis forums. It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Please explain the nature of your problem. Describe pop-ups and system tray or desktop icons that have appeared. Explain what is "going wrong" with your computer. Note any tools you have used and their respective results.
Also tell us which Operating System you are using.
If needed, we will direct you to our HJT Preparation Guide.

Thank you for using BleepingComputer as your malware removal source.

The BC Staff

Edited by boopme, 31 March 2008 - 11:41 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,567 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:09 PM

Are you using Norton Anti-virus?

NAV has the ability to detect unknown viruses of various types using heuristic algorithms known as Bloodhound. An example of such a detection is shown here. This technology uses an expert system to analyze the cataloged behaviors and assess the likelihood of viral infection. Bloodhound is not the name of a virus, but a message displayed by NAV when it thinks it may have found a new virus which is categorized as Exploit, Packed variants in their defintion files. According to Symantec, Bloodhound technology detects up to 80% of new and unknown executable viruses, and 90% of new and unknown macro viruses.

Heuristic analysis is the ability of an anti-virus program to detect new viruses before the vendor can get samples and update the program's definitions for detection. Heuristics uses non-specific detection methods to find new or unknown malware which allows the anti-virus to detect and stop if before doing any harm to your system. The techniques involves inspecting the code in a file to see if it contains virus-like characteristics. If the number of these characteristics/instructions exceeds a pre-defined threshold, the file is flagged as a possible virus.

The disadvantage to using heuristics is that it is not as reliable as signature-based detection (blacklisting) and can potentially increase the chances that a non-malicious program is flagged as malicious. With heuristics, there is always a potential risk for a "False Positive" if virus detection technology (AutoProtect Settings) are set to High for Bloodhound and the heuristic analysis flags a file as suspicious or infected that contains no malware. You may want to Reset Bloodhound to default settings and try scanning again.

NAV is doing its job when alerting to a Bloodhound exploit but from personal experience and testing, I have found some of these alerts to be a false positive. You need to investigate further if you continue to get them.

Get a second opinion by performing one of these online Virus scans:
(Requires Internet Explorer to work. Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component. If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
BitDefender Online Scanner <- Add a check by "Autoclean" and choose the option to "Quarantine".
ESET Nod32 Online Scanner <- Vista compatible but Internet Explorer must be Run as Administrator.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users