Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Log Into User Accounts

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NewComer08

NewComer08

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:47 AM

Hi,
I have a strange problem with my windows xp home edition. I had two user accounts on the start up screen and could log in perfectly till yesterday, however due to low battery windows shutdown abnormally and since then I am not able to log into my user accounts or administrator account, and also see a new Guest account which was not there before as I had disabled that earlier, keep getting the following message -

The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
The specified domain either does not exist or could not be found.

Please try again or consult your system administrator.

I am not a member of any domain and no domains are set up.
Appreciate any help in this regards, also if I have to reinstall windows from scratch is there a way to recover my data before doing a fresh install.

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:21 AM

Doing a System Restore might solve this.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 NewComer08

NewComer08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:51 PM

Doing a System Restore might solve this.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

Thanks for the fast reply, but the problem is that I cannot go that far, after booting I get the screen which has all the users and when I click on any of the user to log in it asks me for the password which is blank and then I get the error mentioned in my first post.
Thanks

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:05 PM

Turn your computer on, and press F8 repeatedly to access the Windows boot menu.
Choose Safe Mode
Press Enter (you might need to press enter twice)
You'll see the screen fill with lots of lines of text, with filenames at the end. This is normal
When you get to the Welcome screen, choose the account called Administrator. It probably won't have a password set. If it does, you'll need to contact the person who setup your PC.
Once logged in as Administrator, try to do a System Restore as outlined above.

Hope that's helpful,
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#5 NewComer08

NewComer08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:15 PM

Turn your computer on, and press F8 repeatedly to access the Windows boot menu.
Choose Safe Mode
Press Enter (you might need to press enter twice)
You'll see the screen fill with lots of lines of text, with filenames at the end. This is normal
When you get to the Welcome screen, choose the account called Administrator. It probably won't have a password set. If it does, you'll need to contact the person who setup your PC.
Once logged in as Administrator, try to do a System Restore as outlined above.

Hope that's helpful,

I already tried it but it asks for the Administrator password and gives the same error message if password is left blank.
However when I try to boot from the xp cd (F12) and choose repair option ® I can log in as Administrator on the command prompt without any password, I don't know what to do after that.
Appreciate any help.
Thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

You might try running chkdsk /r (exactly as written) from the Recovery Console of the CD, since you can get there.

File corruption may have taken place during the shutdown and this is one step in defeating such.

Louis

#7 NewComer08

NewComer08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

You might try running chkdsk /r (exactly as written) from the Recovery Console of the CD, since you can get there.

File corruption may have taken place during the shutdown and this is one step in defeating such.

Louis

Hi Louis,
Tried your solution, chkdsk completed successfully reporting one error found and fixed, still I am not able to log in getting the same error - The specified domain does not exist or could not be contacted.
Are there any tools by which I can recover the data and then maybe do a fresh install of xp if that's the last option.

Thanks,

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:18 PM

Well...before you try a clean install (which, IMO, is the last option)...why not try a repair install of XP?

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

All system files would be replaced (including any critical updates since the creation date of the XP CD used), but all data files, programs, and drivers would remain intact.

Louis

#9 NewComer08

NewComer08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:17 PM

Well...before you try a clean install (which, IMO, is the last option)...why not try a repair install of XP?

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

All system files would be replaced (including any critical updates since the creation date of the XP CD used), but all data files, programs, and drivers would remain intact.

Louis

Hi Louis,
Thanks for the quick response. I did the repair installation of Xp but that did'nt help either. I had IE 7 installed but since I cannot log into any account, so could not uninstall IE7 before the repair installation of the Xp home. Continuing to get the same error message as before.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:48 PM

OK, thanks.

Have you tried to reset your BIOS settings to default yet? I'm really grasping at straws now...but it looks to me as if you are headed for a clean install and you might as well try that, IMO.

Take a look at Clearing the Bios or CMOS Password - http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/bios_password.htm

Louis

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:50 AM

Try this command in Safe Mode Command Prompt (to access System Restore). Dunno if it'll work, but it's worth a shot...

Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

From this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users