Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Desktop And Window Explorer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mjd1988

mjd1988

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:55 AM

I don't know how to attach the image of the print screen of my desktop to show you. I can't get rid of the big bar on the left. There are 3 items on that bar 1- Folder Task 2 - Other Places 3 - Others. When i click Window Explorer from the taskbar, it brings me to the desktop instead of opening my program lists. Also the window search assistant is not functioning. This has been the issue for the last week and I really don't know what to do anymore.

My view hidden and view locked folders are not checked off

I have Ewido free running on my machine, have downloaded Webroot firewall but not yet installed yet until i can get the issues fixed. Have a number of regedit programs and other cleaners that I've used since I've purchased this machine. Tried Panda online and it died before the end of the scan.

Running MS WinXP Media Centre v2002
HP Pavilion 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 4200+
2.2GHZ with 2G rams
Internal Hard Drive 160G
Have now turned off System Restore

Safe Mode with or without Networking runs correctly for Window Explorer. Search is not working in Safe Mode the way it use to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i really don't like the idea of reformatting.

No data on internal HD except for Outlook.pst which I can transfer to external drive

Edited by mjd1988, 31 March 2008 - 12:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:44 AM

Please read this BC tutorial How to make a screen shot in Windows
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dmndmn

dmndmn

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:48 AM

when on the desktop, just hit the 'Print Screen' button, go to paint, right-click select paste, save the file and upload. There you go, you should have the print screen copy to post here.

#4 mjd1988

mjd1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for your time.

Here's a new link.

I'm super frustrated right now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjd1988/2377063383/

#5 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:05 PM

From the screenshot & the info given in the first post, it looks as though the OS is XP. Anyhow, read through this & see if anything helps:

Remove WinXPís Common Tasks Bar

Note: Create a System Restore point first since some of the potential fixes invlove modifying the registry.

#6 mjd1988

mjd1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:37 AM

Hi HillbillyGreek,

Tried your suggestion and it won't work. Somehow the system won't allow me to make changes. The following can be done in safe mode w or w/o networking

create desktop icons
move taskbar icons to desktop or vv
move taskbar icons anywhere else on the taskbar.

I've been at this for 1 week now almost 12 hours a day. Luckily I work the night shift and it's not too busy.

I've gone back to square 1

I've printed your site's Preparation Guide before posting a Hijackthis Log.

I've cleaned by temp folders
I've run Ad-Aware 2007 Free - in live mode - Found nother
Ran Spybot - Search and Destroy - in live mode - Found 17 things and tried to delete but got 17 errors that Spybot can't do this because of a missing .dll Spybot file.

Booted the machine again in live mode and running Spybot again. - It just finished and found nothing

Everytime I reboot the system creates a new users. If this continues I'll have more users on my machine than Canada has people. LOL

I'm going down the list from your guide. Regedit has been used so much that I know the data by heart now.

Once I complete the required steps as outlined in the Procedure Guide, I will post to the Hijackthis forum for futher review.

I tried to do a Console Restore and got an error about not finding a file - unfortunately I didn't write it down but will try it again and will jot down the error.

On the link you posted there was info about running the regsvre32/i shell32 and it just dies and won't run.

Thanks for your help! I'll keep you posted.

#7 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:24 AM

OK. Good luck. BTW: if anyone clicks the above link & gets the version of the page where you have to sign in to see the fixes ( does not happen when accesses from Google) they are as follows:

1.Star > Run type in regsvr32 /i shell32 click OK.

2. Go here: kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks & download/merge # 15 on the left : Remove Common Tasks From Desktop

3. Use the Doug Knox fix here.

Backup your Registry before making changes:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:23 AM

I suspect that this is a result of the number of regedit programs and other cleaners that you've been using. I'd have to suggest a repair install of XP to try and put things right (it'll leave your programs and data intact): http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Since this is a system running XP, I'm moving this over to the XP forum.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 mjd1988

mjd1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

Thanks to all that tried to help. I ended up doing a FDisk as nothing was working. I've headed the guide procedure and installed anti-virus, spybot, zone alarm before connecting to the internet.

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users