Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infection Posing As Anti-infection?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 rdavid

rdavid

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:50 PM

My recently purchased laptop seems to have become infected during a recent surfing session. I was running Norton 360 and thought I was protected. Suddenly I started getting frantic pop-up messages indicating that my computer was under attack. The desktop background was taken over as well. Now, no matter how many times I reboot, the desktop displays this message in large type in the center of the screen:

Warning: Spyware threat has been detected on your PC
Your computer has several fatal errors due to spyware activity
It is strongly recommended ...etc.

CLICK HERE TO SCAN YOUR COMPUTER

If I click, I am taken to a site where they want to sell me PC-Antispyware or PC-CLeaner, which, for all I know are legitimate products (except for the protection racket marketing style).

I have run SUPERAntispyware, AdAware, Spybot and Microsoft's onecare.live.com, some multiple times, and I always find more malicious or suspicious "issues." SUPERAntispyware and Spybot programs have either been able to delete or quarantine the suspicious code; AdAware and onecare.live have found but not always been able to eliminate problems.

What should I do next.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

Hello rdavid and welcome to BC :flowers:

I see that you have an HJT log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/139287/hijacked-desktop-cannot-clean/ Since you have posted this log, DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: deleting files, editing the registry, using special fix tools, installing or uninstalling software etc. as this will make it more difficult for the HJT team to help you.

Please be patient as the HJT team is EXTREMELY busy. DO NOT bump your log as the team may think that someone is already helping you. If you have not had a response in ten days, add a response to the five days no response topic and paste in the link to your thread.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this thread. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users