Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Do You Recommend As A Replacement For Ms Office?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheNerd

TheNerd

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:16 PM

If someone didn't want to use MS Office what would be a good replacement? I know there are others like OpenOffice, WordPerfect, and more but I wanted to know what you guys and gals think is the best one.

I already use OpenOffice on a regular basis. Are there any other replacements out there that are as advanced?

Cheers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

You have, in OO.o, a very good office replacement, at a great price, and one that is compatible with MS file extensions (OO.o3 will be released soon and be compatible with Office 2007). I use it all the time, and have not found anything to equal it.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 TheNerd

TheNerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:04 PM

Thanks. I hadn't realized that OO.org 3 would be compatible with Office 2007. In that case I'll stick with OO for sure. But I've recently installed Abiword just to try it out.

Mod Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 31 March 2008 - 09:21 PM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:44 AM

If your WP demands are not great or complex, you might also look at Google Docs; currently, its WP is on-line only, but within a few weeks, it appears that you will be able to work on your documents off-line as well. Google Docs also has a spreadsheet and a presentation application (these are currently not scheduled to be able to be used off-line for some time). I have used it off and on for simple tasks, but I cannot vouch for compatibility with all of MS's various file types.
Cheers,
John

#5 TheNerd

TheNerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:12 AM

I've played with Google Docs off and on but I'm not really a big fan of the online only part. It might be better when you can use them all offline. I often bring my computer to places that don't have network connections and I use my WP to write articles for my blog and other stuff.

I read that IBM is releasing a new product called Lotus Symphony, which will be a free download. I might check that out just to see how it works.

I've been forced to use Word Perfect at work due to some old documents I needed to convert and it's not too bad. I noticed with Word Perfect I had problems setting up printing properly because it uses it's own printing subsystem but other than that it's not super bad.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:18 AM

Well, Lotus 1-2-3 was a very good product, and I used to use it all the time. I would certainly be interested in your comments about Symphony. Right now, I still prefer OO.o to any other office suite.
Cheers,
John

#7 TheNerd

TheNerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:41 PM

Well, Lotus 1-2-3 was a very good product, and I used to use it all the time. I would certainly be interested in your comments about Symphony. Right now, I still prefer OO.o to any other office suite.
Cheers,
John

Sure, If I get a chance to try it out I'll post my results :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users