Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Shuts Down When Converting Video Files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nsxpilot

nsxpilot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:26 PM

Hello,

I hope someone can help with this problem. Lately my PC has been shutting down by itself when I'm working on something that takes up a lot of computing power. If I'm converting video files or even when my daughters play games on some sites the computer will turn off. I've run a series of anti-virus & spybot programs like Spy Bot, Ad-Aware, & Nortons Anti-Virus and found nothing. I've noticed that my PC has been making strange sounds lately like possibly on of my fans was going out. I wasn't sure if maybe it was my power supply kicking out. My hard drive is also close to capacity as well. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thank you,

Dell PC
3.0 HT P4
XP Pro
512 MB Ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:34 PM

Have you solved your malware problems reported in your HJT Topic?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:24 PM

If you are clean of viruses and malware, then it sounds like the computer is overheating. CPU intensive activity, such as playing games and converting videos, will increase the temperature. Windows will shutdown as a precaution.

When was the last time you opened the case up and cleaned it out, paying special attention to the heat sink/fan? I thought I was keeping my heat sink clean, using the usual method of canned air and blowing it out. Not so. One day I took the whole thing to the kitchen table and it was then I could see that down inside the grills it was still full of crud. (We have pets.) I removed the fan and used tweezers to pull the gunk out. Then I gently cleaned it up with alcohol and q-tips

If that doesn't help, then the fan on the heat sink could be dying. Been there, done that too. Heat sinks aren't that expensive to replace. If it needs replacing, it's best just to buy a new heat sink too. Upgrade to the fastest fan speed/capacity suitable for your system, especially if you've been running on the factory installed one all this time. Manufacturers usually put in the minimum-cheapest ones.

Since you mentioned noises, it could just be the heat sink/fan. But if all that didn't help, then it could be the power supply. I don't know anything about those, though. And lastly, the noises could be signs that your hard drive is failing. Been there. Done that.

Now, about cleaning up and recovering some of that space on your hard drive. There are lots of things you can do to recover space on it.

1. Uninstall any old programs you don't need or want anymore.

1a. How many pictures are stored in My Docs that you don't look at anymore? Move them to copies on CDs for safe keeping and delete them. Same with music files, if you're not really using them. Backup any data you're keeping in My Docs and get it out of there if you don't need it often.

2. If System Restore is set to the maximum, dial it back. Mine is set on 2%, which for me goes back 5 days. You may want a little more, depending on how many automatic restore points run for you. But honestly, who needs to go back two weeks or more? It might work to fix a specific problem, but you end up with a bunch of renamed files and folders, and/or reinstalling recent new software.

3. You can start recovering space just by using the basic Windows Disk Cleanup. There are also software programs that will do more.

Once you've cleaned the excess off your hdd, then run scandisk on boot. After that, run defrag.

You should see a marked improvement on performance, as long as we've eliminated any serious hardware problems.

EDIT:
P.S. When converting videos, it's a good idea to do that when you aren't doing anything else on the computer. No browsing, emails, playing games, etc. Not only does that keep your computer cooler, it also lessons the chance of errors during the conversion.

Edited by mommabear, 31 March 2008 - 02:29 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:54 PM

If it were me, I would try to pinpoint the origin of these sounds...it's good to know what might be failing or in need of attention.

Just remove the cover (temporarily) and try to visually identify the origin.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 31 March 2008 - 03:55 PM.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

dust and dirt and failing fans will KILL your computer, that should be the first priority

your symptoms can also be aggrevated by crapware, malware is more obvious
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 nsxpilot

nsxpilot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:01 PM

Thank you all for your help. I opened my PC and it is filthy. The heat sink was extremely dirty. I think I do need to clean out my hard drive of all my old programs as well. Hopefully if there is any malware I can get rid of it with some of the programs listed on some of the boards. Thanks again from all of your suggestions and help. :thumbsup:

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:41 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/135948/malware-problem-maybe/

if you feel you may have any malware don't forget about your thread
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 nsxpilot

nsxpilot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:00 PM

Thank you Chewy,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users