Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Monitor Do You Use For Gaming?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:11 PM

Hi, some games only display in 1024x768 minimum, but their text and graphics look so small on my 17" monitor that I get eyestrain and have got to get a bigger monitor.
I think LCD's have replaced CRT's nowadays, so I think a 22" LCD would be fine, but shall I get a square screen one or a widescreen?
I only want it for playing games and flight simulations, nothing else.
Wouldn't a widescreen stretch the picure out and make it look funny?
What sort do you all use?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:32 PM

I use to use a 15" monitor that displayed at a max 1024X768 resolution. After having that for a couple years and monitor prices were going down, I finally bought a 20" widescreen monitor. I really like it, but the only problem is my graphics card isn't that great (ATI X1900GT), and it's kind of laggy playing some games at 1680X1050. Definitely go for a bigger screen if you have a good graphics card, but if you don't a good 17" or maybe a 19" would probably be best. If you just want a big screen though 22" is a good size.

What happens if you don't play the games on their fullest resolution, to reduce the lag in most cases, is the picture looks a little blurrier and less sharp. Not running the screens recommended highest resolution will usually make the picture looked stretched out a little too.

Most screens now are widescreen. I personally think they look better, but I think that might be because I look at mine all the time and I'm use to it. It's good to just go to a store and checkout their monitor display. See what size and type looks good to you.

I hope this was helpful!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:59 AM

Thanks, my best bet is to try to do a "refund if unsuitable" deal with the shop so i can take it back if i have to.
PS - Have all widescreens got a 4:3 option?
If they have, I can shrink the pic to that size if I don't like the widescreen display.

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:39 AM

Yep, technology has certainly moved on. My old CRT 15" Silicon Graphics monitor bit the dust a long time ago only to be replaced by a Sharp 19" 4:3 TFT monitor, worked like a dream. I have since purchased a Samsung LE40M87 40" LCD TV which is hooked up to my PC via DVI - incredible.

Most widescreen monitors will allow the choice between 4:3 / 16:9. Usually most games allow this feature. The widescreen vs standard display is weird at first but you'll get used to it.

If you can't read the screen properly due to small fonts etc, you can change the D.P.I of your icons and text within windows.

BTW, a good resouce for TFT's are Ebuyer, CCL online, Aria.

Hope this helps!!

Edited by FireKracker, 31 March 2008 - 08:35 AM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#5 terrordv

terrordv

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:42 PM

im useing "HPw2207" widescreen all the latest games i play all run in widescreen just fine. as for eyestrain i find it easer then my old old monitor 17'' crt.

#6 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

Thanks guys but I think i've cracked it, I found a local comp shop today who say if i buy a mon from them i can take it back for refund or exchange if its not suitable.
So I plan to buy a 22" widescreen from them in a couple of weeks and see how i get on with it..:)

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:11 AM

Monitors are like your computer mouse; both are used all the time so each is critical, and which one works best is a very personal thing. If you are able, visit a large computer store and look at the screens from various brands and kinds; if possible, try each out if not with a game, at least by navigating around Windows. Maybe you could take a game to the computer shop and try various monitors there, since the extra work for them at the time would be better than your returning one or two later.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 jabberwocky

jabberwocky

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:41 AM

A 19" flat/widescreen screen, HP, dont know the tech specs, but its made games so much more alive than when I used my old 15" one. :thumbsup:

#9 ill_Nino

ill_Nino

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:25 PM

A 22" Asus Widescreen... doesn't really get any better =D

#10 zaroba

zaroba

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:20 PM

i have duel 19" hanns-g HX192D monitors with 2ms response times.

hope to get one of these soon though :thumbsup:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824254026

Case: Fractal Design Define XL | OS: Windows 10 - 64bit | Monitor: 3x 22" widescreen LCD
Ram: 16 gb ddr3 | GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970
HDs: 64gd ssd, 2tb Seagate Barracuda | Mobo: ASUS P8P67 LE
CPU: Intel Core i5 - 2500 @ 3.3GHz| PSU: 850Watt Thermaltake Black Widow

#11 FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:44 AM

I have a 22" Westinghouse :flowers:

19" Acer as my secondary. :thumbsup:

Edited by FadeToBright, 22 April 2008 - 07:45 AM.

#12 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

I use my three-year old, 4:3 ratio, LCD, eMachines flat panel monitor (either 15" or 17"). Then again, I don't play shooters on my PC, so I really don't need anything fancy. Maybe once I pay off student loans, I will buy a better one, but this one works right now.

#13 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 01:42 PM

19" widescreen LCD. Like it a lot, but bigger would be better lol I can't stand when i have to do something with the GF's comp everything looks funny on the 17" "regular" LCD she uses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users