Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Irfanview And Virustotal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AlchemicEND

AlchemicEND

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:46 PM

Just downloaded IrfanView an used VirusTotal on it like I do everything I download just to be safe. An VirusTotal found the following:

Antivirus Version Last Update Result

eSafe 7.0.15.0 2008.03.18 suspicious Trojan/Worm
Prevx1 V2 2008.03.21 Heuristic: Suspicious File With Outbound Communications
Sunbelt 3.0.978.0 2008.03.18 ], [

I downloaded it by going to Irfanview.com and using the link there to download it from download.com.

Edited by AlchemicEND, 30 March 2008 - 06:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:42 PM

Download.com is definitely a safe site.
They're most likely false positives. As for Prevx, it's using heuristics which is just paranoid off all similar behavior. IrfanView is probably having outbound connections to check for updates or something.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:02 AM

IrvanView is used by many security-conscious Members here at BC (of whom I am one), and you have downloaded it from a "safe" site. So Skyfuser's explanation makes sense. If you are unsure, you can use one of the many on-line AVs to validate your AV's report.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 AlchemicEND

AlchemicEND
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:08 PM

Alright thanks for the help both of you. I feel safer using it now after hearing what you guys said.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

Q: Does IrfanView contain Spyware or Viruses, etc.?
A: NO. If your anti virus program reports a virus or spyware in IrfanView downloaded from the official homepages, you should either update the anti virus program or use a better one.

Irfanview - FAQs
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users