Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird "skipping" problem.....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:46 PM

Okay, here's a weird problem for you.

A friend of mine just bought a brand-new Toshiba laptop, and she's pretty happy with it except for one thing. She's noticed that sometimes when she's browsing through websites, suddenly the browser will just skip back a page. And sometimes, it will skip back three or four pages. It never skips ahead, just back.

It's beginning to annoy her, because the only way she's able to send emails is by typing them into wordpad, then copying and pasting them into her email client. She can't use Hotmail because halfway through the email, the browser will skip back and she'll lose everything she's written.

She's going crazy trying to figure out whether there's something wrong with the computer, or if she should call her ISP, or what.

Can you offer any advice?

(FYI, she's using IE at the moment).

Thanks for any help!

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keithy397

keithy397

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 20 March 2005 - 09:49 PM

Has she run an anti virus and anti spy/ad ware progs? If it's not because you've got nasties on board it could be a hardware flaw.
Cheers

Keith

#3 emb92

emb92

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:09 PM

Get firefox?

Or could the keyboard have a back key and she accidentilly hits it?

Edited by emb92, 20 March 2005 - 10:12 PM.

#4 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:22 AM

Well, she says she's not hitting the back button.

I suggested that she try Firefox, so she'll probably do so today.

As for it being a hardware flaw, hopefully that isn't it. Although she does have a 30-day money back guarantee from Future Shop, so if that's the case she can always just bring it back. I think she's just hoping she won't have to, because she's pretty happy with the laptop other than this stupid glitch.

Anyway, I think she's planning to try Firefox today, so keep your fingers crossed that it works.

As for running anti-virus software and doing a scan --- well, I will suggest that to her to be on the safe side, but she only got the laptop the day before yesterday, so hopefully she didnt get a virus THAT fast.

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users