Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help In General

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Clover K.

Clover K.

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:41 PM

I bought and we installed basically a whole new computer into my boyfriend's standard atx box. New motherboard, video card, power supply, fans, and processor. I don't know where we went wrong, but the graphics doesn't come on. I'm seriously about to cry. Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:49 PM

Hello,

Could you provide some more information?

Does the computer start up ok otherwise?
Have you checked the graphics card for obstructions to the fan?
Does the motherboard have another slot to test the card?
Have you looked in the BIOS to see if it is configured correctly?
Have you tried another monitor?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:54 PM

FWIW: If you are getting a message from the monitor indicating that there is no connection...try reseating the graphics card (if there is one).

If it's onboard video, ignore this :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 Clover K.

Clover K.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

We're not sure if it's starting up ok. before the new graphics card, it would beep on startup and it's not doing that now. No obstructions to the fans. It's plugged into the only PCI-e slot that's on the mobo. Can't look into the BIOS because I can't get anything to show on the screen, and there is no other monitor to try, but the monitor worked fine before.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:07 PM

The problem may not be limited to the graphics card. Have you checked to see if all the components are all seated correctly? especially the CPU and heatsink also http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html is a list of BIOS beep codes and the errors associated with them.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:38 PM

Have you double checked all of the connections on the motherboard? Did you connect all of the power connectors to the board including the 4 pin CPU power connection? Did you connect the PCI-E power connector? After removing the old motherboard did you check the placement of the stand offs for the new motherboard. Not all boards are similar in screw placement. The new board may be shorting out on the case. Is the new power supply big enough for all the new equipment? Just a few places to check first :thumbsup: . Also could you list the manufactures of the new parts so we can check and make sure everything is compatible. Did you reuse the old memory or just forget to list it?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 Clover K.

Clover K.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:07 PM

We swapped out motherboards, nogo. It did a long beep, two short beep code. We swapped the old motherboard for the old one, and put all the parts back in, and it turned on, but no video on the screen. It didn't beep. I'm at my wits end. I'm about to put the boy's old nvidia 8600 in (that we originally had problems with) to see if that might help.

I just spent a whole lot of money on these parts and i'm seriously about to cry.

#8 Clover K.

Clover K.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

we have an 8 pin pci-e connector and a 4 pin p3 connector that we can't find homes on this DFI Infinity NF650I Ultra Motherboard.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:46 PM

I'm guessing that you are referring to the connectors supplied from the PSU? If you look at the motherboard with the rear connections to the left you will find the eight pin connector above and and just to the left of the first white RAM expansion slot. I didn't see a four pin connector on that board in the picture that I was able to find.

Edited by dc3, 30 March 2008 - 09:47 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Clover K.

Clover K.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:20 PM

The 8 pin connector piece doesn't fit into the 8 pin connection.

The 4 pin connector is labeled P3, and the 8 pin is labeled pci-e, but the only pci-e card that we have doesn't HAVE a place on the card to plug anything into.

#11 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:26 AM

well, most of the older PCIe cards are either 4 pin molex or 6 pin PCIe, If you have a good Power supply it has a 6 pin and 8 pin for the graphics card. If your card doesn't have it then don't worry about it.

Like this card here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814122050

Edited by smurfgod, 31 March 2008 - 02:29 AM.

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:03 AM

Did you locate the power connection that Dc3 referrd to? This connection along with the PCI-e connection are essential to the computer working.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#13 Clover K.

Clover K.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:49 PM

Nope. This is baffling me. Would you like me to list the components I bought?

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:08 PM

Yes, it could help
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#15 Clover K.

Clover K.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:13 PM

I just realized that he has dual channel memory slots and he had the memory side by side (like single channel). I had a duh moment. (we've been trying to do this over the phone because it's a LDR). He's going to put the memory in the proper channels and try starting it again in awhile. But here's what I bought him:

FSP Group Blue Storm II ATX 2.2 500W Power Supply -
XFX PVT84JYDF3 GeForce 8600GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card -
DFI NF650i Ultra-T2 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard -
Intel Pentium E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E2200
COOLER MASTER RR-CCH-L9U1-GP 92mm Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler - Retail (N82E16835103031)

I also bought him Vista home premium OEM but I'm not concerned with that ATM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users