Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Block Users From Saving Your Web?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chow2rich

chow2rich

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

Does anyone or anybody knows how to block users from saving your website or your web? I'm trying to blocking any users from saving my website? I have Microsoft Expression Web and Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Pro as Web Editor. Those are my programs that I use to construct my web pages and ASP.NET web pages.

Edited by chow2rich, 30 March 2008 - 03:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:54 PM

Hello,

Are you trying to stop people from viewing the source code of your webpages?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 chow2rich

chow2rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

No, preventing them from saving it onto their computer.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

Have you tried converting the pages to flash or similar?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 chow2rich

chow2rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

Have you tried converting the pages to flash or similar?

--------------------
Regards
Alan

I don't know what you mean. Can you explain, please?

Edited by chow2rich, 30 March 2008 - 04:50 PM.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

Converting to flash would in theory prevent people from viewing the source and therefore they wouldn't be able to view the content and shouldn't be able to download the page. However you could use this tool http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/encrypter.htm to encrypt the source code.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 chow2rich

chow2rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:05 PM

Thank you, nigglesnush85. Your a big help. Again, thank you so much for your help. Would this encrypt the whole page? I need something that can encrypt the whole page, so that anybody on the Internet can't download my website.

Edited by chow2rich, 30 March 2008 - 06:08 PM.

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:05 PM

We had a thread like this quite a while ago. I'll summarize. Once the code is on my computer, I can do whatever I want to recover the source code. In this thread that I just alluded to, it was proposed to me that I would not be able to recover the information from the encrypted page, which was wrong. I did it in about 15 seconds.

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

Thats a good point, No one method is absolutely foolproof, I suppose making a lot of the information severside using php, or inserting some javascript to protect content could hinder someones attempts slightly.
Regards,

Alan.

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

Thats a good point, No one method is absolutely foolproof, I suppose making a lot of the information severside using php, or inserting some javascript to protect content could hinder someones attempts slightly.

PHP can mask the backend stuff, but as for your other content (like test, images, etc.) it won't do much.

Javascript is too easily defeated to be much of a hinderance. For example, some web sites use javascript to prevent right-clicks; I can get around this by disabling javascript altogether, using an addon like NoScript (which I do), or by instructing Firefox to prohibit webpages from altering or disabling the contect menu.

The long and short of it, like groovicus said, is that once the page is loaded in someone's browser they have you content already downloaded to their PC. The WWW paradigm makes no provisions for digital rights protection whatsoever.

Further, obfuscation (like encrypting the source code) can have negative consequences. People with visual handicaps who use screen reading software, for example, may be unable to use your website if their screen reader uses a page's source code. And even from a more broad usability standpoint it's a bad idea.

Take a look at all the major websites out their. Google, Yahoo, Digg, Bleeping Computer, etc. None of them have any obvious protection against people downloading any part of their web presence. All the proprietary stuff is handled at the backend, where it should be, and users don't even know it's there.

The best steps I can recommend is having a clear and strong Terms of Use policy and enforce it vigorously. Don't go nuts, though, like these poor saps did: http://pubcit.typepad.com/clpblog/2007/10/...ereby-agre.html

#11 chow2rich

chow2rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:57 AM

Thanks everybody, I'll figure it out. But again, thanks.

#12 pislkie

pislkie

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:12 PM

My principal is that if they are clever enough to utilise it, they are more than capable of overcoming the restrictions. Even Flash can be decompiled.
>>>piskie<<<

#13 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:11 AM

I really dont believe that any tool in the world can prevent a user from downloading the page to his computer. But, yes, you can try encrypting with online tools. but, it is not so helpful for SEO.

jb.

#14 pislkie

pislkie

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

If they are clever enough to use your content, they are clever enough to over come your attempts to stop them The result are likely to handicap the genuine visitor or the Search Engine Spiders or a combination of both.
>>>piskie<<<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users