Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registery Changes Not Sure

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dizzydee

dizzydee

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:51 PM

sorry if this is in the wrong place, if i get a warning that a programme ive just started wants to do a reg change do i allow, example every time i use sonic recordnow i get an alert asking if i want to allow, if i say no the programme wont work till i reboot, so am i right if im using said programmes its ok to say yes, if not using said programme do i say no, sorry for being thick, ive googled to read upon it, but am unsure. Many thanks in advance,Dee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:43 PM

i get an alert asking if i want to allow a reg change

What program is asking this question? Most programs will add something to the registry, usually when they're first installed. It could be an auto-updater that checks for an update every time you start the program. It downloads the update, and while installing the update it needs to make a change to the registry.

programme wont work till i reboot

Does it work after a reboot without you getting the message about it wants to change the registry? To be able to use the program it seems you are going to have to allow the change.
Steve

#3 dizzydee

dizzydee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

Hi CmmTch, its sonic record now, it was preinstalled on my system, its strange because ive used it loads of times, only now is it asking for acceptance for reg changes, but i can say its never been updated, but if i say allow, then it dosent work untill i rebbot, if i say no, then its the same, cant use till i reboot, but its only while i start the programme. Thanks Dee.

#4 dizzydee

dizzydee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

Oh wait, just tried again, now alls clear mcafee not asking for me to allow, now can use with no probs, sorry dont know why all is ok now, not done anything differant, Thanks Dee.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:26 PM

When a program starts it sometimes has to make slight registry changes. If you deny the changes the program wont work. Comodo firewall does this quite often. However Comodo comes with a 'remember this action' which will stop it prompting you in the future.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:33 PM

That's good news dizzydee :thumbsup: We'll just have to say it "came clear while testing". That doesn't mean it won't happen again, but for right now all is well.

Most of the time a notification that some application or program is trying to change the registry it's ok to allow. You'll know the particular program or application that is triggering the notification. It's something completely different if you don't recognize the application that needs to change a reg entry, or it just pops up for no reason while surfing the internet. That wouldn't be allowed until you know more about it.

Steve

Edited by CmmTch, 30 March 2008 - 04:34 PM.

Steve

#7 dizzydee

dizzydee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:09 PM

Thankyou thankyou thankyou so much steve, you have answered my so clearley i now understand reg changes, well i hope i do, lmao, thats all i wanted was a untechnical not spelled right i know, answer to my question, your an angel, so gratefull. Dee. oh ps, what if im not on the net, and im useing a programme and i get a request for that programme for a reg change, am i right in allowing if ive opened the programme, many thanks DEE.

#8 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:59 PM

ps, what if im not on the net, and im useing a programme and i get a request for that programme for a reg change, am i right in allowing if ive opened the programme

Yes, If that happened to me I would allow it, you've opened the program from your computer, so you know where it came from.

Steve
Steve

#9 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

Spybot's Tea Timer used to pester me to death about registry changes and I worried about them for a while too, until I got sick of it and unllicked it.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:26 PM

...., but if i say allow, then it dosent work untill i rebbot, ...........

Sometimes a registry change requires a reboot, for the change to take affect.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users