Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive Says Its Full, I Don't Believe It

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BigWave Dave

BigWave Dave

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:40 PM

I have an old VIAO laptop 40GB hard drive split into two: C drive (16GB) and D drive (22GB). Don't ask about the 2GB missing; I wouldn't know. About 9 months ago, my videos and music were quickly filling up the drives so I bought an external 120GB drive. So I transferred all my music and video to the new external drive. Perfect. Recently I noticed that my C drive (16GB) is full; 5MB remaining (notice I said MB, not GB). I added up the file usage of all the files in there and it just doesn't add up to 16GB. Is there a free software that can tell me where my disk space has gone to? I can't even watch any streaming videos on the web; it's driving me crazy. I defragged the drive and diskcleaned it but with no improvement. Can anyone give me suggestions please. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:04 PM

Hello,

This tool http://windirstat.info/ may be what you are looking for, it has helped me on numerous occasions. Also this tool http://www.ccleaner.com/ can clear out quite a bit of space.

Two points worth asking...
1 Do any of the Disks in question have a page file?
2 What size is the system restore cache set to?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 BigWave Dave

BigWave Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for replying nigglesnush85. I'll check the programs in a bit and let you know how it comes out. As for your questions:

System Resotre Cache size? uuhh, forgive my limited PC knowledge but where can I obtain that information.

Page file in drive? Well, I could not find in any drive with a folder labeled "Page File", nor any folder when I performed a search for "page file". I did however find tons of files with a "page" word in the file name when I performed the search again. Could you specify what the exact file or folder should be called?

Thank you for your patience. Regards, D

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:35 PM

I should have given more details. I'm sorry.

Right click on the my computer icon and select properties. A new window should display itself. Click on the sysyem restore tab you should see a box called available drives. click the settings button and a new window will show itself with a slider. How much space is being used bysystem restore?

To the pagefile. right click on my computer and select properties. then select the advanced tab. there are three buttons on this page, select the top one in the performance section. A new window will display itself, select the advanced tab. At the bottom of this window there is a section for virtual memory. Click the change button and have a look at the options. What size is the pagefile?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 BigWave Dave

BigWave Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

Thanks again nigglesnush85; you're awesome! First, I downloaded the two programs you recommended. I napalmed the drives and BAM! I just freed up 3GB. The instructions you detailed were very helpful. The answers to your questions are shown in a screen print below. The C & D drive cache memory is shown as well as the Virtual Memory you mentioned. Please let me know your thoughts. Regards, David

Attached Files

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:08 PM

That looks ok, The pagefile doesn't take up a lot of room, one and a half GB at maximum. And the C and D drives are taking up only 2GB.

Did you use the windirstat tool? it will give you a graphical display of what files are using what space. Also, click start then run and type diskmgmt.msc This will give you details of the systems partitions.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 BigWave Dave

BigWave Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:44 PM

Done. I checked everything as you indicated and used all those program; i'll need to shuffle around a few of my files that I loaded a long time ago but in general it all looks good now. My problem is now solved. Once again THANK YOU very much!! you were a great help! Signing off on this thread. Regards, David

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:46 PM

I'm glad it all worked out. All the best.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:39 AM

Don't forget to defragment the hard drive when you're done moving/changing stuff around.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users