Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Prefetch Folder

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 he1pplease

he1pplease

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:46 AM

hi, i really hope someone can help me, i moved a folder from my c drive into the windows prefetch folder. dont ask me why i done this as i now know it was a really silly thing to do as i now cannot retrieve the files i had in that folder. the folder was originally stored on my c drive and i transferred the folder and its files about 5 months ago now and have just realised that a file within the folder is particularly important. when i tried to move the folder back to my c drive it wont let me. an error message appears saying access is denied. PLEASE HELP as i really need to be able to move the folder from Windows/Prefetch back to my C:Drive, can anyone help me with this? if so please can you email me at xxxxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.xx.xx or reply to this posting. im not very good with pcs (hence moving a folder into a diretory that is used for the operating system doh!) so would really appreciate it if you reply that you explain in basic terms what i need to do, many thanks and looking forward to a response....

Edit: Email addy removed to prevent spam, also the forums are for sharing the knowledge. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

copy, don't try to move
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 he1pplease

he1pplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

hi it wont let me move, copy or delete or do anything with it, it says access denied no matter what you try and do....pls readvise

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:52 PM

hi it wont let me move, copy or delete or do anything with it, it says access denied no matter what you try and do....pls readvise

This might help
Take ownership of file or folder
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:33 AM

Try using a tool like the UBCD available for free from here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 he1pplease

he1pplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:09 AM

hi thanks for your responses but none of them work. im also not too sure how a reboot cd will help as my problem lies in the windows operations system folder. as i moved the folder into the windows/prefetch directory the files within the folder were automatically deleted so the system thinks there are no files wihtin that folder and will also not allow me to access the folder. im hoping someone can answer me on if i get into the folder will it automatically put the old files back into it. its the files that are important so im wondering where did the files go when they were automatically deleted as itransferred the folder to windows/prefetch. could anyone help and guide me to were the deleted files may be? im also not very good on pc so please keep it as basic as posible, thanks for any help, ive sort of given up!

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:05 AM

The Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) will boot to another operating system from the CD. This means that the operating system on the hard drive isn't working. Then you'll have access (using the file system tools on the CD) to copy the files to another location.

Basically you can get 2 kinds of access denied messages - one when the files are in use by Windows, and the other when you don't have the necessary permissions to access them. The UBCD should bypass both of the above conditions, allowing you to copy the data.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users