Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Is My Internet Connection Keep Disconnecting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hewittinspain

hewittinspain

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:46 AM

For the last couple of days my internet keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting again from my desktop pc(ie the green light on the modem will flash and then connect again). This happens around 2 or 3 times every 10 minutes. Iam using a USB modem.

At first I thought it could be my ISP having problems but when I tested the same modem with my laptop it is running perfect for hours.

I went back to my desktop pc and did a few things to try and fix it.

1) I restored my pc to a time when it was running perfect .....still faulty
2) I ran uptodate spybot and regcure and then my nod32 anti virus in SAFE mode.....still faulty
3) I reinstalled my modem driver...Still Faulty.

I dont know what else to try. There has to be something in my pc messing around with the settings and internet connection but i dont know what. When it does connect for that short period of time it does not run slow. I have used the same modem with my desktop pc for 5 years without any issues.

Like I said it is not my ISP or a faulty modem as it runs perfect on my laptop.

I dont want to resort to formatting my drive just yet. I havent even installed any new hardware recently that may have conflicted with the modem. Im using the windows firewall and not a third party.

Why is it disconnecting and reconnecting constantly? I can provide any other info if anyone need it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:25 PM

Did nod32 find anything?
If so, what?
What OS is on your desktop? On your laptop?

Did you use the same USB cable to connect to the desktop and laptop?
Did you try different usb ports on the Desktop?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 hewittinspain

hewittinspain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:35 PM

Hi. Im using Windows XP on both laptop and desktop. Yeah I tried different USB ports and still the problem is there. NOD32 has found nothing.Ive ran the spyware 5 times although it does find adware and sucessfully deletes it.

Im wondering if some virus or spyware has changed something in my modem setting or in XP that nothing will detect.I dont really want to reinstall windows as i have so much stuff on there.If any Hijack log will help Ive managed to get this if its any use.Other than that is there anything else I can try??

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:37 PM

Go to the Control Panel then Network Connections.
Click once on your active Connection.
From the menu on the left, select Repair This Connection.

Also, unplug the modem for a minute, then plug it back in.
Sometimes this allows everything to reset.

If you continue to connectivity problems,WinSock XP Fix can can cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or modifications of the Winsock settings.
Sometimes your Internet connectivity will get corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries.

Or you can try WinSock2 Fix, if that fix didn't work.
When you run it, click on ReG-Backup button first to backup the registry, and then click on the Fix button.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 hewittinspain

hewittinspain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:47 PM

Ok ill give that a go now and let you know if that helps..cheers

#6 hewittinspain

hewittinspain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:25 PM

Ok ive installed winsockxp fix and ran it through, resetted and reconnected. Ill probably have to see how it goes.If the connection doesnt disconnect within 30 minutes to 1hr then I guess its probably repaired.If not ill post another messgae on here for advise on another option that i could try.
Thanks guys

#7 hewittinspain

hewittinspain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:45 AM

Problem fixed!!!! The WINSOCKXP did the trick. I left the PC running overnight and by the morning it was still downloading and connecting fine. Thanks for your help guys.!!

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:48 AM

Good job :thumbsup: Glad your problem is fixed.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users