Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 paulw75

paulw75

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:23 AM

I hooked up an older WinXP PC to my network. Signal very good, but can't get on to the Internet. Checked all settings, which seem fine. Event Viewer shows the following error.
TCP/IP protocol Driver Service failed to start. The System cannot find the file specified. Then it gives you the microsoft address:
go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp
What else can I check?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:30 AM

Go to Start...Control Panel...Network Connections - the right click on the affected connection and select "Properties"
Does the TCP/IP protocol show there (It should say something like "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" or "TCP/IP v4" (you may also have something referring to TCP/IP v6 - but that's different).

If TCP/IP v4 (or just plain TCP/IP) isn't listed, click on the Install button in the General tab.
Click on Protocol and select Add
Then select the TCP/IP v4 (or just plain TCP/IP) and click on OK
You may have to reboot for the changes to take effect.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 paulw75

paulw75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:13 PM

I had done all that you suggested, rebooted, but still no connection to IE. Signal very good, but no connect. The person I got it from said she couldn't get on the internet and since the hard drive was practically fully, bought a new one...sort of like the car ran out of gas, so I'll buy a new car.
I have the WinXP disc and if no other suggestions, will reinstall.
Thanks for the reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users