Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Old Gimmer

Old Gimmer

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:42 PM

Can somebody please help me with this problem. Every time that I try and install a program or use the search facility the fan goes crazy, I have to stop what I'm doing because it freaks me out that much. The fan would start up on ocasions in the past but nothing like what is happening now, it just sounds as though it's about to take off lol. What damage could it cause if I did try and do an install? If anybody can help it would be most appreciated.....OG.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:44 PM

I would check the fan blades. They may be twisted, dirty, or hitting something when they spin.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Old Gimmer

Old Gimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:17 PM

I don't think it's likely to be that, the computer has only just come back from having it's annual health check. They are supposed to give it a clean out and check everything inside as part of the service. I'm just wondering what they could possibly have done to cause what's happening, if that's the case......OG.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:35 PM

Every time that I try and install a program or use the search facility

This may sound crazy but what I think you are hearing is the sound of the CD drive spinning up. Is there a disk in the drive when this is happening?Try to recreate the sound with a disk both in and out of the drive. Did you get a new drive when you had the computer in the shop?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Old Gimmer

Old Gimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:55 PM

Hi Leurgy, No there isn't a disk in either of the drives when it happens, it's definitely the fan because I can feel the draught on my feet......OG.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:13 PM

Open the case and check for cables near the fan(s). I'll bet something has been disturbed during the 'health check' and a cable or power lead just touches the fan when the air flow changes under load. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:31 PM

Could be a bearing . Do you have a case fan and a CPU fan ? Either would only be $5 to $20 depend on the make and size . I'm not refering to the high end cooling units , before someone points that out . You could easily change it yourself . Usually 4 screws and a plug . Crack the case and check it out . You can always call atech if you change your mind .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 Old Gimmer

Old Gimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:32 PM

I rang the shop today and told them the problem, and they said that they would have another look at it for me, so that's what I'm going to do. I wouldn't have felt comfortable poking around inside it, not ever having done anything like that before. Thanks to everybody for their suggestions......OG.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:53 PM

Good deal . You don't want to run the computer without a fan ( If it is a fan) . Heat kils CPUs .Good luck .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#10 Old Gimmer

Old Gimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 04:32 AM

Thanks acklan........OG.

#11 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:53 PM

even though the issue may be resolved im gonna throw my theory into the ring.
you may have a temp controlled fan and it starts to kick in as the cpu gets loose. my case fan is a noisy little bugger at bootup but quiets down after less than a minute. my own comp vendor says its a "self lubricating fan" or something like that. so it gets quieter as it warms up.

or they may have dinged a blade or shifted a wire while cleaning and tidying, so make the guy who messed it up figure it out...

#12 Old Gimmer

Old Gimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:04 PM

I've been thinking, seeing as I don't know much about what goes on inside a computer, has anybody got any good sites where I can see what makes it tick. Just the basics nothing too heavy, then I just might have more idea what folk are talking about. Cheers.......OG.

#13 Old Gimmer

Old Gimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:32 PM

Gothmog, Sorry didn't see your post before I posted my last one. But what you have proved in your post is how little I know about the goings on inside of a computer, thanks all the same.......OG.

#14 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:34 PM

Gimmer, in response to your question about what makes it tick i googled the phrases "how to build a computer" and "What's inside a computer." in both searches the first five seemed very good and detailed, but if you are just beginning try this kids site (no offense inteded) that has a java based click thing.

http://www.kids-online.net/learn/click/table.html

#15 Old Gimmer

Old Gimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:33 PM

Gothmog, I'm not offended, it sounds like just the thing. Many thanks.....OG.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users