Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Controlling networked computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 emmalou89

emmalou89

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:23 PM

How do you control another computer from your own computer (preferably using command prompt, if possible)? the other computer is on the same network, if that makes a difference (i guess it does!)
please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:48 PM

Hi emmalou89 and welcome to BC

Don't know how you would do that from a command prompt as you need to be actively networked. I like to use VNC, although RealVnc and TightVNC are supposed to be faster but I haven't tried them yet.

You don't need to be on the same network, they can be anywhere. Although if you are both on the internet you technically are on the same network. :thumbsup:

What is it you are trying to do?

Edited by Leurgy, 20 March 2005 - 05:50 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 emmalou89

emmalou89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:52 PM

ah, ok then, just wondered if it was possible through command prompt becasue i know how to use that!!
im trying to control the pother computer in my network so when i am trying to find a file, i dont need to trapse to the other side of the house to find it if i'm in a rush. is this even possible? im sure i saw my brother using it, so i guessed it was, but it could have been something else!

Edited by emmalou89, 20 March 2005 - 05:55 PM.

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:40 PM

With microsoft windows xp professional, there is a remote access tool built into the operating system that will let you control computer on your same network.

But do be careful, this opens up a wide variety of security risks for your computer.

To access it, go

1. Log in as an Administrator (or as a member of the Administrators group)
2. Open the System Applet in the Control Panel.
3. Click Start => Control Panel => System Applet => Remote Tab

4. On the Remote tab, select the Allow users to connect remotely to this computer check box, as shown below.

5. Make sure that you have the proper permissions to connect to a computer remotely, and click OK.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:42 PM

It should be fairly easy . Download RealVNC , my personal favorite . Install the server on the computer you wish to control and the client on the controlling computer . I just put both on each computer . When you setup the server use "No authentication or Encryption" This way you don't need a password . Click on the viewer on the client computer , enter the server computer's LAN IP . You can obtain that through your router DHCP list or the VNC icon on the server next to the clock on the taskbar . FYI : When the routr is powered down (unpluged or power failure it will reissue LAN IP addresses .
If you are just browsing for files , why don't you just map the second computer's drive . That way is becomes an extention of the client . Right click on " My Network Places " , select "Map a network drive " .
VNC is still good to have . You can remotely run programs , download updates... I use it to maintain my kid's computer without leaving my desk . Play with it I think you will be impressed .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 emmalou89

emmalou89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:28 AM

But do be careful, this opens up a wide variety of security risks for your computer.

what risks are involved? what could they do to the computer?

thanks

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:05 AM

Just like a firewall blocks out traffic , once you open a port to access your computers others have the potential of accessing your computers also . A good router can go along ways to reduce your risk , but the risk will always be there . Go to Shields Up ! and test you system's defence from attack . A good suite of software will go futher to protect your system . I suggest , AdAware SE , Spybot S&D , AGV Antivirus Free Edition , as a basic defence . The sad fact is you could make yourself 100% safe from attack , but that would mean cutting yourself off from all outside contact . Inluding this fourm . All work and no play in other words . In many respects the hackers win in that case also . They will have shut you down .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:05 AM

Hello again emmalou89

You can do what you need to do with a simple home network. Have a look at PCWorld's Step-By-Step: Set Up a Network in a Snap. Its not that difficult and will save all that running around.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:25 PM

Pc mechanics guide hasnt been updated in 2 years, ive reqritten one that involves recent material so its easier to understand.

http://www.techsomething.net/CustomBuildin...homenetwork.htm

Also the remote access tool opens up a lot of security risks because it allows other "hackers" to attempt to gain open network access to your computer. Ecspecially if your network is securied with an encrypted network key.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users